1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amd/Intel Noise Comparisons

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dash, 18 Oct 2002.

1. Dash

Dash What's a Dremel?

I was going to buy a new chip and MB and I am wanted something quiet, not silent but something I can sleep through while its on in a small room and I don't have enough for water cooling yet. Has anyone done reviews on noise comparisons of the two mostly between anything higher than 2200+ and 2.4 p4. Thank you for anyhelp you can provide

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

There's a list of processor wattages here that will give you some clues as to what heat-sink you could get away with, but a better answer might be a HS you can stick a quiet 80mm fan on. Pal 8045/Papst NGML is the obvious answer.

3. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

Since wc is out of the question, look for Zalman Flower products. It's a big, flower (hence the name) looking heatsink with a fan not attatched to the thing, but actually over it care of a bracket that screws into the PCI card holders.

Other suggestions:

Volcano 9 (manual + thermal speed control)
    Coolermaster HHC-L61 (for AMD) or IHC-L71 (for P4) (heatpipes in heatsink + low-speed fans = fairly good noise/performance ratio all things considered)

4. Dash

Dash What's a Dremel?

oh okay cool becuase I was thinking about buying the amd 2600+ but I wanted to cool it without eccesive noise issues at night when surfing the web or typing papers etc....

I ordered a baybus with a port for 7v/12v for the heatsink fan but I just don't know how hot the amd's get....

Last edited: 18 Oct 2002
  5. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

I'd echo cpemma's suggestion. The PAL8045 is the best choice for quiet cooling. The zalman's performance is not as good, in addition to the heatsink being dangerously heavy for single lug mounting. I have both.

6. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

a lot of people on these forums like the alpha heatsink, and i use it myself and can only reccomend it...

a lot of people will argue that an intel cpu can be cooled a lot quieter, but that is due to the p4 reducing its speed with temperature....thus youll be losing out on performance...

settting up an amd cpu with papst fans, an alpha in an aluminium, or a good ventilated steel case (dragon) should give you exactly what you want...

another product you might want to look into is the Asus A7V333 motherboard or above, as they have an option called qfan which slows down the speed of the fan, when not much heat is produced, thus making your system very quiet...since i got this motherboard, i can easily leave my pc on at night, even though its about 1m away from my head from where i sleep...

7. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

nearly forgot, your motherboard northbridge fan, your gfx card fan are often quite loud aswell, so you will have to look into that...my northbridge is passivly cooled, so no problem there...

hdd noise can also be annoying, both my wd and my barracuda iv are quiet harddrives, the seagate being the quieter one...

and last but not least your psu fans...

8. Dash

Dash What's a Dremel?

thanks you all for your suggestions and help.....I will check into that motherboard for its qfan :D and the PAL8045 heatsink...Thanks again :lol: