1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs AMD isn’t planning to steal a little market share...

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 24 Feb 2017.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Well-Known Member

newegg prices haven't changed?

2. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

3. tristanperry

tristanperry Active Member

I don't overly see a change in prices either, especially comparing those Microcenter prices to comparable UK prices.

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

It's not Intel that AMD need to convince: it's developers to do the (excruciating, if not impossible in many situations) task of breaking down game engines to thread even further than they already do. And it's not like developers of today (or the last decade) are just going "well, we've turned to dial up to '4 threads', that'll do let's go for a pint".

::EDIT:: AMD already ran into the 'Itanium problem' before with HSA: that big GPU on the APU never did end up getting used for same-package GPGPU in everyday applications.

Last edited: 26 Feb 2017
  5. Harlequin

They don't - AMD have the consoles so devs are already programming for 8 cores :D

6. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

The issue with developers is you write for what you estimate is the mainstream system is, so atm it's 2/4 threads, why go to extra effort/cost for a small percentage of the market.

4 threads took longer than expected to catch on for most people because "most systems" where running 2 threads (remember budget systems can shift very high volumes compared to higher spec more expensive ones), so again why go to the extra expense.

Also optomising a piece of software for a small market share is counter productive if it makes most of your market run worse.

Having more cores/threads is all well and good in extreme/enthusiast machines used for benching or custom software jobs / servers where they can be used correctly and to there max potential. But if your writing software to preform well in the mass market your writing it for 4/2 threads still.

Even if AMD manage to get a 30% market share, will all those CPUs be 4+ threads? Probably not. So the Most occuring Thread count will still be 4 threads, so thats what mainstream software will target.

I would love to see developers pushing up their system demands outside of the entusiast market, but it's not going to happen 6/8 core have been around for a while and software has only recently started to push 4 threads properly. will be along time before those extra cores are "required" instead of optional.

I shall wait to get my hands on a consumer chip/board before making any sort of real world judgement. I am just not to sure this will be as big as AMD would hope, which is a shame.

You don't have that level of control when writing for consoles, you are writing for the system & HAL and not the actual HW

7. Yadda

Yadda Well-Known Member

Do you mean the tests that were performed (by various folk) during the AMD promo event?

If everything is as it seems, why is there a restriction on publishing independant testing results until March?

/OldCynic :D

8. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Because surely that's just how the industry works? When has any hardware manufacture ever sent out review units based on an entirely new architecture and said "yeah go on, put what you want up as soon as you got it"?

It makes sense for AMD to show off what their new products can do before anyone else - It's basic PR. They can control the variables and have the answers/knowledge should something not perform as expected.

There is on odd amount of paranoia circulating around regarding Ryzen performance, which is odd considering no-one is forcing anyone to buy into it (with cash or hype). It's almost as if people are waiting, with expectation, for the 'myth' to collapse... Which is all the more strange, considering we're all in the same boat as PC enthusiasts, and there's only gain to be had by competition in the market.

/eternal optimist ;)

9. Yadda

Yadda Well-Known Member

Would you like to buy some magic beans? :)

10. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Haha, optimism only stretches so far... There's still Vega to disappoint us all ;)

11. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

I am not anti AMD or anti compertition, but we have been here before on several occations with several manufacturers of CPUs/GPUs, where all the official figures and controlled demonstrations, sample tests, all show large gains against another product, but when it comes to public testing and consumer units it's another storry of broken promises and poor compromises to get the product to fit a price point.

Time will tell.

12. Agrippa

Agrippa New Member

I have no fear that Ryzen will disappoint when all is revealed on Thursday, be it in games or productivity. However, to compete effectively in the HEDT market AMD primarily needs to come up with a better chipset than X370. 24 PCIe lanes just won't cut it in the high-end where people need/want SLI/Crossfire, multiple M2 SSDs and HBAs/RAID cards.

I'm building a new machine this year, but I'm frankly still unsure whether to go Intel or AMD. I'd LOVE to go with Ryzen, not least because of the savings, but I want at least one M2 SSD, preferably two, and I've got an HBA which ideally should have 8x PCIe 3.0 lanes at its disposal. That leaves just 8 lanes for the GPU, which isn't exactly ideal. If they'd been PCIe 4.0 lanes it'd be different, but since they're not Intel has to remain in the running.

13. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

14. Agrippa

Agrippa New Member

True enough - today. However, when I build a new machine I build it to last as long as possible. My current one was born in Q1 2012, so it's about to pass the 5-year mark. Ideally I'd like the next one to last as long, or longer. 8x 3.0 if fine right now, but I think it's a sure bet it won't be in 2020, 2021, 2012. However, 16x 3.0 will likely be OK for the full life of the next machine.

Hence my Intel or AMD dilemma remains.

15. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Plus of course SLi and Crossfire are all but dead any way....

16. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

I'll back AMD and dump my Intel chip (read: pass it on to my son) and I'll tell you why..

I still remember that Intel were fined 1.4 billion dollars for using what amounted to bribery to stifle AMD out of the consumer PC market, and this is why they have been so far behind and taken so long to catch up. (if you're not aware: https://www.engadget.com/2009/05/13/intel-fined-1-45-billion-dollars/)

I overclocked Cyrix, I overclocked old AMD and I'll go back to supporting them again. Simply because we need this competition to keep innovation up and prices down.

And because Intel deserve a kick in the knackers.

17. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

For now, but that is unlikely to remain the case.

18. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

I don't think your in a minority there :thumb:

19. Agrippa

Agrippa New Member

For me, they've never been alive. I still want more than 8 PCIe lanes available for my single GPU though, without ditching that M2SSD or my HBA. However, I'd get that and more with X99 or X299.

20. Harlequin

you get 16 lanes with a single gpu on z270 and AM4

Tags: Add Tags