1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD joins Intel on MeeGo project

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Nov 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I'm shocked, although I can see how it could be a good move for both companies and the project as a whole. I hope it works out and the sparks don't start flying - because it's going to be a fundamental project for the mobile devices industry in the next couple of years - but we all know how much rivalry there is between these two. It could all end in tears :/

3. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick What's a Dremel?

Only a matter of time before the Intel-AMD merger and the ultimate monopoly subjugates the known universe.

4. Doomah

Doomah What's a Dremel?

I think the reason AMD joins this, is because they see Intel making the code better run on Atom and Intel hardware than on AMD hardware.

5. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Next week - Intel spits dummy out, tells MeeGo to **** off, takes source code with it.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

@TH3Maverick
    that legally can never happen, intel and amd are under a certain contract

@MaverickWill
    that also legally can never happen - meego uses a public license, which prevents it from being proprietary to 1 company.

...is maverick a really common name in england or something?

anyways, personally i think its great amd is doing this, and i'm sure half the reason they're doing it is to prove a point about their APUs (and because intel already did all the dirty work so they don't have to re-create an entire os to compete). although its good amd is doing it, i have a feeling meego isn't going to be as successful as intel, amd, or nokia will be hoping - i think android or chrome OS will do better.
    being mainly a linux user myself, i'd much rather amd focus on linux drivers than work on an OS. since amd bought out ati, linux drivers have immensely improved but they're still behind windows. i'm not even sure if you can do crossfire in linux.

7. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Kinda nice to see them working together; gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

8. Lazy_Amp

Lazy_Amp Entry AMD Engineer

So Meego is going to be some sort of x86 alliance OS against the popular ARM based OSes in the mobile market then?

Well, let's see if anything is done with it. I have trepidation that it will be a runaway success, but no reason not to try.

9. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Is this because iOS is closed nonsense and Windows Phone 7 has taken them all by surprise and actually be bloody good?

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

no, meego has been in development for a while now, about a year i think. i don't think its intended to be used specifically for phones, seeing as how x86 sucks for extra low-power systems. amd joined because they think they can compete with ARM, which is great at low-power processors.

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Or possibly because Android is too open nonsense (think about it). But MeeGo has indeed been in development for quite a while.

12. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Intel could well take their patented Moblin source code and leave with it, if I'm reading it right, especially since they're the ones who started the venture with Nokia.

And Th3Maverick is in the States. We've had this conversation before, I'm sure. :p

13. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Tags: Add Tags