1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD launches AM4-based desktop Bristol Ridge APUs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 6 Sep 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Seems an odd choice of words when Intel has always had more sockets 'active' at any one time than AMD.

That said, it really does simplify everything, which is nice. If these chips are nice (in price/performance/power terms) I might look at getting an AM4 rig just for amusements sake. (Still running an old 1090T system, but it's rather long in the tooth now... :( still, it's served me well and the motherboard is my second-longest-serving, only being beaten by an old Shuttle box with a 775 board in it... :))

It's also a bit of a shame that the 1090T was the last AMD CPU I really got excited about. Here's hopin' for Zen. :D

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Why? Which part of that extract reads to you as in any way suggesting that Intel has fewer 'active' socket types than AMD? (Serious question: if I can rephrase to make it more clear, I will!)

4. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I won't lie; I'm a little excited to see what the boards are like, I know not to expect anything particularly amazing, no Crosshair VI, for example, but it'll be interesting to see what kind of specification the upcoming AM4 boards launch with.

Not because I'm considering buying another AMD part at release again, nothing of the sort. :worried:

5. Paradigm Shifter

Hm. I might suggest using 'differing' rather than 'split-personality' (because the latter can have a negative connotation). Perhaps I'm just grumpy about the myriad of different socket types Intel has, because I had to tell a friend at the weekend that some Xeon chips he bought wouldn't work in the motherboard he bought, despite both being 'LGA2011'. :duh: :lol:

6. Gareth Halfacree

Crazy stuff, innit? As for "split-personality," personally I think it adds a colourful something to an otherwise dry sentence - and it's accurate: AMD's "performance" personality uses AM3+, and its "mainstream" personality uses FM2+. Yes, Intel has major fragmentation - but the article's about AMD, not Intel. If it were about Intel switching to a single unified socket type (and wouldn't that be lovely?) I'd probably have written that it "puts an end to the dizzying array of almost-but-not-quite compatible socket types across which Intel spreads its processor range" - and then someone would probably have piped up that I was being unfair 'cos AMD has multiple socket types too...

Personally, I don't think "split-personality" has to be a negative, and I agree. (D'you see what I did there? ;))

7. Paradigm Shifter

Aye, I see what you did. :hehe:

The next article about Intel having a new socket, I'll expect to see word-smithery similar to above about it. :D

8. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

"I don't quite understand why in the blazes Intel feels there is a requirement for yet another slightly different and utterly incompatible socket in their lineup - but it exists, so here it is." - Something along those lines?

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Because unfortunately the alternative was often requiring an old cpu to be able to get it to boot so you can do a bios update to make it compatible with the shiny new cpu you actually want to use.

Welcome back to first world computing AMD.

10. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Glad to see this is forward compatible with Zen. I'm soon going to be looking at a lower end build and so I'll be keeping a close eye on this - looks like an interesting launch.