1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD makes a fresh start with graphics software

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 2 Nov 2015.

1. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Change it back to horse's mouse!! :naughty:

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I know that it doesn't mean completely new as a fork of something relies on an existing code base.

Last edited: 3 Nov 2015
  3. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I'd be interested to see how well the new suite performs.
    I'm getting rather fed up of how sluggish and dysfunctional the Geforce Experience software is becoming... the thing hardly works properly on the best of days and it's getting worse by the minute. As of late Geforce Experience has even started to crash and throw out errors that it's missing DLL files when I try to open it from a fresh boot & clean install.

It's making me consider switching back to an AMD graphics card, despite how power hungry they can be.

4. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Personally I think the Geforce Experience stuff is bloated nonsense aimed primarily at makng gamers think they need their games to be optimised by a 3rd party for them (a very small number might), and pushing the streaming feature.

When I did have it installed it never optimised any game better than I could myself. Basically in the control panel I tick SLi, use the dropdown to put my monitor into 144Hz, make sure PhysX is on, set my GFX preference to Quality. And then adjust the ingame GFX options. Thats it. It all works perfectly ok. Yeah, if I had 20 minutes before every game I could manually adjust EVERY setting within the Nvidia control panel but the gains for me are negligble compared to the value of my time.

Secondly, I never used their streaming. And will never use it unless they release a gaming tablet dedicated to Steam.

So, I have the GFX drivers installed, the PhysX drivers, and the Nvidia HD audio drivers due to using a Sony wireless surround headset with all the Dolby goodness connected through one of my GFX cards via HDMI. I occasionally check the website manually for updated drivers.

Seems like an odd decision to go to AMD just because the bloated stuff you installed (but dont need anyway) crashes and is crap.

Have you thought about not using it?

5. Pvt_Ryan

Pvt_Ryan What's a Dremel?

Personally I don't understand the need people have for eye candy in a Settings Box. For crying out loud i dont want to need the Fury X just to look at the settings, nor do I want to waste a gig of disk just for a pretty dialog box. I visit this "application" on average 3 times a year and two of those are generally due to my 6 month OS reinstall cycle.

You could easy re-architect the SETTINGS box to use < 10mb of disk and do more than it currently does.

Yes I know disk space is cheap nowadays and CPU is fast but there is a growing trend of using it simply because it is there, instead of optimizing for low space and quick performance.

Tags: Add Tags