1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD, Nvidia release drivers for BioShock

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 21 Aug 2007.

1. runcible

runcible What's a Dremel?

I tried the demo with 7.8 drivers on my ATi X1950Pro and it ran well if not perfectly smooth at 1680x1050, no graphical issues. The next day upgraded to a 2900XT (I need to be sure this game runs perfectly!). Started off great, smoother and with better image quality. Until I got to the steps that is, and noticed the complete lack of any floor textures. It was as if everything from the waist down had been turned off.

Tried then running the game in DX9 mode, all fine, no problems.

Installed the hotfix last night, now DX10 is working fine too (though not appreciably different looking imo). So my guess would be that the ATi fix is primarily aimed at DX10 users. If you read the Readme.txt it does state to expect glitches with 2900XTs.

2. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

:sigh: Unadulterated/uninformed codswallop :rolleyes:

Have you seen the specs available for laptops these days :confused: You can get 'em with SLI'd 7950GT's for goodness sake :idea:

3. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

same here, got wierd graphical corruption on my x800 with my old drivers (cursor completely missing, at the start of the demo all i could see was flames and corrupt rain effects, the water was just a huge black area) strangely enough, this is the first time i've had a driver problem with ati since i got my 9600pro many years ago

updated the driver, installed the hotfix, bioshock now 'encounters an error' and crashes to desktop instead :p

the hotfix seemed to break the driver in a stunning way, as 3dmark reported that it couldn't load the DX9 subsystem :duh:

anyway... got parts for a new PC arriving today/tomorrow, so that'll fix the problem :lol:

4. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Well, found out why the x800 doesn't work, the game apparently only runs on SM3.0 cards :waah:

*goes back to waiting for the courier to arrive with parts for his new PC* :eeek:

5. luxarific

luxarific What's a Dremel?

2K sucks for leaving so many gamers out in the cold, but luckily some awesome gamer came up with a patch for <a href="http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5680">Shader 2 cards</a>. Not all the textures are there yet (he's still working on it), but the demo is definitely playable.

6. IccleD

IccleD What's a Dremel?

I bought the game for the missus yesterday, and after researching the "Installing Credits" scandle before opeining the packaging, she went ahead and installed the game on her laptop.

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5500
    1.67GHz, 667MHz FSB, 1MB Cache
    Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
    2048MB RAM
    512MB nVidia GeForce Go 7600 Graphics, displaying on a
    17" Brightview Widescreen Display

No problmes with the install, or the activation (this time), but before it would let her run the game, it asked (read demanded), that she updated her graphics card drivers. Kindly providing a link to Nvidia's website, and downloading the package it suggested, we found that no compatiable driver was included.
    We went directly to the Nvidia website, and found no support for her graphics. We went to the laptop manufacture's website, and found no support for her graphics. We (she) very nearly had enough after trawling over many countless websites looking for an answer.

Finally, I had an idea. Device Manager > Drivers > Update Drivers > Do you wnat Windows to check?? Yes I do!
    Away went Windows, "Driver Found" > "Downloading Driver" > "Installing Driver" > Black Screen, followed by panic! > Done!!

Nothing's changed as far as I can tell, bar the updating of the Driver itself, but the game is up and running no problems or further issues. I can't comment on the game itself, as I've not had a look in, but from the way it's holding the missus attention, I'd say that it was very good indeed.

7. zocks

zocks What's a Dremel?

About the Ati Hotfix..

Maybe you are not noticing the lack of surfaces.. as it happened to me.. until I discovered that some Rooms should have lots of Blood on the Wall , I do not.. so the decals are missing, this is one of the Issues. I cant Update thought, since I have an AGP Card, and the Hotfix lays on the 7.8 Version of the Drivers, wich f#@k Up Agp.. AGP Community still waiting for a fix for that... :(

8. Xaab

Xaab What's a Dremel?

IccleD, when I saw your post I thought I was in for some luck... turns out I'm still stuck in a crap shoot. I tried letting windows search for an update on it's own but instead of coming up with new drivers I was simply given the message, "Your drivers are currently up to date."

Here are my system specs:

Dell Inspiron 1720
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7500
    2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB/4MB cache
    2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
    256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT

Bioshock should be able to run very smoothly on my machine.... but because NVIDIA doesn't/can't supply updated drivers for Laptop graphics cards I guess I'm SoL. I'm thinking I'm just going to return the game, although the first level is pretty amazing (game locks up when trying to loading the second level).

9. riggs

riggs ^_^

Hey Xaab, take a look at http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ for modified nVidia drivers. Essentially, they just take the official drivers and make them work with a wider range of cards (including mobile GFX).

I installed them on my 7900GTX equipped lappy the other night, and while I've not got round to testing Bioshock, I've had no problems.

[edit] ...and welcome to the forums! :thumb:

10. simosaurus

simosaurus What's a Dremel?

i fixed the mouselag issue by changing my sli rendering mode to alternate frame rendering :)

Tags: Add Tags