1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD Opteron, ASUS A8N-SLI PC broke down

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Saivert, 10 May 2007.

1. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

System components
    Mainboard: ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe
    Chipset: nVidia nForce4
    Processor: AMD Opteron 150 UP (2.4GHz) Single Core
    RAM: OCZ Dual Channel Gold XTC PC-4000 2048MB (2x1024MB)
    (SPD Timings 3.0-4-3-8)
    Graphics: Point Of View GeForce 7800 GTX 256 MB PCIe
    Case: LianLi PC-101

Yup, that's my beast which has now suffered death.
    I was using my computer when it suddenly became irresponsive and even bringing up Task Manager was impossible. I did the only thing I could do and pushed the reset button, but then the computer just yielded one long and two short beeps. I ruled out the graphics accelerator card because I tried a PCI-based NVIDIA TNT card and still no boot.

So I guess the motherboard is fried. The southbridge on this one has been very hot, but has been working nevertheless.

I have the option of getting a dirt cheap Socket 939 motherboard and get this compy up and running in no time or just face the facts, it's time for something brand new.

What do you think of Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, some decent DDR2 PC2-6400 or what do you think?

2. DMAthlon

DMAthlon What's a Dremel?

i'll buy that opty off of you then if you're getting a new one. that system's got plenty of life left in it, just get a cheap mobo if you beleive that is the problem. i say that cuz i have a similar system (minus gfx card) and my baby is still FLYIN,

3. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

sure you want to buy it?

I pried off the heatspreader (IHS) on the Opty in desperation because I thought it didn't get enough cooling (sometimes old components suddenly need more cooling than usual, and it is summer in Norway now) so I doubt you want to buy it, it could be broke as well.

Actually the IHS was a bitch to get off. And the CPU now has a slight curve on it's PCB (the material around the die itself).

The only lame thing about buying a cheap motherboard just to see if it is only the motherboard that is the cause of the problem is that once I use the motherboard I can't revert the purchase. I don't want to spend money just to check the rest of the components and possibly end up with a motherboard I have no use for. I tried to ask somebody if they had a Socket 939 mainboard that I could borrow, but everybody said no.
    That's the main reason I want to buy a new system.

I also hate spending money. I'm like Scrooge McDuck.

4. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

Latest news regarding the CPU

The CPU is now dead. The computer refuses to post (all I'm hearing is the sound of the fans, and the standby LED is lit). The new ASUS A8V-VM motherboard did the trick for about 2 hours, then the CPU died on me. I'm guessing it's related to a heat problem.
    Anyway, I'm getting a new system now maybe I will fix this old setup when Dual-core Socket 939 processor prices drop drastically. They are still pricey because of continued demand for them (to my astonishment). I can still buy very cheap single-core Athlon 64 CPUs but that is just too much waste of money. If I'm getting a new CPU it has to be dual-core.

If only people would stop buying those damn Socket 939 CPUs soon so the prices can drop to a normal level for an outdated piece of technology.

Last edited: 25 May 2007
  5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

S939 will never drop dramatically - it's all old stock, and it's no longer made. So anything a seller has bought will have to be shifted for a minimum of the price they bought them from AMD.

6. bumfluff

bumfluff What's a Dremel?

There will be a point when they will just want to get as much as they can from their old stock so the prices could drop. It is much better to be able to flog the components and make a bit of a loss rather than not sell them and have them taking up shelf space.

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

On the contrary - there will almost always be people who want a replacement part for an S939 desktop to avoid having to replace the whole system. OEM's won't be pushed for space for a batch of processors, especially if they're proper OEM processors too!