1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD Phenom hits 7GHz

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 29 Nov 2010.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

"Slightly unstable"

That's better than most of the women I've dated. Too bad it has a heard of LN2.

2. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

It's nice to see an article acknowledge the fact that liquid nitrogen is impractical. If an overclock isn't capable of working 24/7 then it is meaningless to real users.

At any rate the importance of the Phenom II is at the end of the line. Bulldozer will determine the future. If Bulldozer overclocks to 5GHz on air and has a similar IPC to the i5/i7 then AMD will be back in the game.

3. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I've been running stable at 4 GHz on air coolers (with 965 and 970), so indeed I don't know why you haven't heard of 4 GHz on water..

Back to the topic: I hate when they run these records on processors that aren't even launched yet. For all I know there won't be AMD-launches this year, so they are atleast a month too early with the 975...

4. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Last night I put my watercooled amd on my balcony (its -3 outside). Normaly it idles around 21c inside. But after about 15minutes it was idling around 5c. Did not want to let it sit there to long I am afraid of condensation...

5. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

And the point of this supposedly great feat is?

LN2 cooling is as useful as snooze button on a smoke alarm.

I still don't get it why some people are so excited about few random numbers, when such "achievement" is purely academical and doomed to failure after test is over.

6. Vigilante

Vigilante What's a Dremel?

It is a testament to the architecture that it could actually scale to this speeds - though both impractical and in reality, not very useful. If AMD pull some insane IPC improvements out with Bulldozer (which, lets face it, they should be since its nearly 3 years overdue), and maintains this same level of clock speed scaling, we may actually have a few reasons to pick up an amd processor next year - other than the price, of course.

7. dactone

dactone dact-one

thanks for the math! 7ghz pretty fast then.

Tags: Add Tags