1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 17 Aug 2009.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

All I can say is "Ouch."

3. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Same old AMD

Nuff said!

4. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

I'm going for the X4 905e instead.

5. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

funny that, i seem to remember people saying the same about intel not so long ago.......

this does have a whiff of deperation to it though, 7ghz under LN2? i'll believe that when i see it

6. Dave_M

Dave_M What's a Dremel?

I thought your conclusion was a little harsh. This CPU is competitive in performance and in price. Power consumption isn't great but it's far from terrible. Remember Prescott? *shudders*

BTW try overclocking with 32bit windows. I think you can break 4GHz, just try it.

7. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I just think after enough random good/bad batches they just decided to release this.

That said, at least the other PII X4s will be cheaper.

8. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Well, considering the PII 940 was over £200 at launch, i don't think they are that bad value. I agree that the TDP is a bit crazy though.

9. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Your being a bit harsh on this one, especially about the 140w issue, theres an in depth review on another site that shows the chip never comes anywhere near using the 140w....unless your running an Intel Burn Test 24/7....

http://www.lostcircuits.com/mambo//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=62&Itemid=42

Its just AMD being overly cautious, in the same way you can easily undervolt these CPU's and run them at stock speed without any adverse effects as regards perfromance.

10. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Just as comparison, Prescott's quoted TDP was 84-89W (depending on the exact model). I'm guessing Intel and AMD both measure differently, so it's not an apples to apples comparison.
    I'm sure it's about time for AMD to take a big step forward and overtake Intel for a few years again, but not with this generation by the looks of things.

11. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I like how power consumption has been addressed as a huge problem over the last couple of years, but I just don't think the give/take 20 Watts should make such a huge difference in the overall score.

About the overclocking, yes, the Phenoms clock like no tomorrow, they just require some LN2/Liquid Helium to do so. Extremely they scale nicely - the more you cool, the more you get, but for an average consumer they're ofc worse clockers than C2D/Core i7's.

12. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

good review,
    spotted a typo in the last page:
    Crysis[/url

13. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

14. trig

trig god's little mistake

i7-920 for $30 more...wonder which one i should go for.../sarcasm

15. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

This is the first time that I read a CPU review completely versus skimming and looking at the test results images and well I spotted A LOT of typos and grammar errors and hell I suck at English but could clearly make them out so ya might want to run through your review one more time and fix those ;)

now to the review it self I think the conclusion was uncalled for, considering the price to performance I would say its not to shabby, ya its a bit power hungry but well thats kinda a mute point considering whoever is running this cpu anyways is probably running some pretty power hungry graphics card(s) so I dont think that's much of a concern and if you were building a low power system then ya I doubt this would be your CPU of choice as for temps well again anyone running this CPU most likely will be running an aftermarket cooler or water cooling setup. Overall I say not to bad for what you pay.

However I do agree with your overall score of 6 out of 10, maybe possibly a 7 out of 10 at most.

Last edited: 17 Aug 2009
  16. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

A. I can get a core i-7 920 locally for $199 USD.
    B. What was the 920 in the review overclocked to?

Thanks for the review.

17. trig

nah...conclusion was well founded. who in their right mind would buy this chip? no one.

edit:
    let me rephrase...
    why would anyone buy this over the 955? why would anyone buy this over the i7 920?

where can you get an i7 for that? please please tell me...

18. LockmanX

LockmanX What's a Dremel?

I personally saw several of these chips hitting 7 GHz this weekend. AMD's claims are not BS. I will admin this was done under liquid helium. However, multiple chips were able to do this consistently.

19. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0302727
    They won't ship them though. Pprice is only for local pick up only though so that they can try to sell you other things to go with the CPU.

20. trig

well of course there is a catch lol...will they actually let you out of the door with just the cpu?

hey, they have a location in dallas...can you vouch for them?

Tags: Add Tags