1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 17 Aug 2009.

1. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

What do you mean for by vouch for them (specifically what are you looking for to be vouched for)?

2. trig

trig god's little mistake

have you used them? how did you come across them?

3. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

Yes I have purchased from them before. Their store is across the street from where I work. I used to be on the IT help desk and field tech support and have purchased equipment from them in the past for work as well as personal uses.

Their prices are alright, sometimes beat newegg.com.

Here is a thread from slickdeals.net about this particular deal.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=1423019

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Lucky you with your dirt cheap i7s.

Over here it's 270 € ($380) for the 920, and another 200 € ($280) for the cheapest LGA1366 motherboard. Now that's total of 470 € ($660).
    Meanwhile in the AMD-camp: 955 (965 not yet on list, shouldn't be much more expensive, some 210 € maybe?) 180 € ($250) and the cheapest AM3-boards sell at about 100 € ($140) total for the 955: 280 €.

Now with a price difference of 190 €, the 920 better be a tad faster! Suddenly the 955/965 doesn't seem to have such a terrible value anymore.

5. trig

god..so tempting ...
    wait for i5 or go with this...
    the mobo prices just really kill me on this...

6. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

Just buy the day before the end of this months sale and wait for the official i5 results. I believe you have 30 days to return the proc.

7. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Why is it the AMD fanboys always come out with that comment? AMD haven't put a good show for a very long time and apart from the odd low end bang per buck, they've done absolutely nothing.

By the look of this, they aren't going to be the No 1 choice either. Especially when in comparison with the i5 range which this will go up against since it's nowhere near an i7.

If you have a board that can take this, then go for the 955. If your board can't then wait for the i5 or go full hog and i7 for the best performance.

Same old AMD, all mouth and no trousers.

8. Goty

Goty Minimodder

Owning both an i7 920 and a highly clocked Phenom II, I can conclusively say that the i7 runs a HELL of a lot hotter than the phenom II, even with the purportedly "lower" power consumption.

9. PandaMonster

PandaMonster What's a Dremel?

What's worse than a bad review/reviewer, are the people who believe what they read from just 1 review.

Just google this new processor. Plenty of other reviewers have easily reached 3.9ghz with just air cooling, with full stability. These guys here tried 1 mobo, didn't oc well, and now all of a sudden the proc is bad. *cough*

Get real bit-tech, try more than 1 mobo.........here's a link to get you zombies (some of you gullible readers) started:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...sk=view&id=335&Itemid=63&limit=1&limitstart=2

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?/cpu_mainboard/amd_phenom_ii_x4_965_be/7

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1037/14/

Those are atleast 3 sources that reached 3.9ghz or HIGHER with just stock air. btw bit-tech, throwing more voltage at something is not the right way to go.

The review it self is worse than what you guys make the 965 BE out to be.

10. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

well Im not trying to take sides and all but umm for the most part Intel honestly didnt have a decent CPU to offer the market that AMD couldnt match or beat until they released the C2D, then they finally had something to offer that out did AMDs offering and was able to retake the market. Also AMD is normally the company that tended to be more revolutionary then Intel or at least was the first to try something new and then Intel waited watched and then came out with their own variate, of course Im talking CPUs only here not all the other stuff that Intel has their fingers in.

I do agree for the most part with you, concluding that a cpu is a letdown from testing with only one board isnt the way to go about concluding on something, they probably should have worded in the manner of with the hardware that we had at our disposal we were unable to match what AMD was claiming blah blah blah...

but ya this review could have used a bit more work on it and maybe a bit more time in testing/researching.

11. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Talking of apples and oranges, the P4 contempory AMD XP3000 consumed only 67w. So you can see why people are comparing the Ph II to the P4.
    And the P4 EE @ 3.7 had a TDP of 115w, so a quad @ 3.4 and 140w isn't so extreme.

Edit: Just to be fair, I have a FX-55 @ 2.6 that sucks down a dizzy 104w.

Other reviews I've read are saying that the power consumption isn't much more than the PhII 955, so there may be some chip variation at work. AMD and Intel have power consumption brackets, and AMD CPUs fit into 45/65/95/125/140w, so if it used 126w i would be classed as a 140w CPU. AMD will probably release a 125w 965 later.

Last edited: 18 Aug 2009
  12. trig

lol...go back to w/e noob site you came from. they hit 3.92 ghz, on a tested board. mileage varies by the chip on oc'in, if you knew anything, you'd know that. and i am so impressed by sites that a)don't post cpu-z shots of their highest supposed stable oc, b)don't test that oc for stability other than "hey, it booted into windows and cpu-z runs...YAY!" c)compare it to a discontinued q9450 that if it were for sale today would probably go for around $200.

solid review. it's an oc'ed 955, and anyone who buys it/cries about a review that didn't jump for joy that amd has yet again released a "high-end" part that can only run with intel quads on a dead socket is brain dead.

Claave likes this.
  13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I can get 3.9-4GHz from our 955, explain to me why I need to spend more a 965 then? AMDs K10.5 process craps out at ~4GHz on air, unless you're very lucky.

We know the motherboard can do more than what we got and we certainly won't OC on 32-bit. Who TF uses 32-bit these days?

14. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

About 4GHz, or a tiny bit over that.

15. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Hold your horses and think about it for a second. Trying a second motherboard isn't going to help if it's a bad chip especially since they know the motherboard can reach those numbers.

Also, like you said people need to read multiple reviews; it wouldn't be very helpful if Bit-tech turned around and said "Well we had a crap experience with the chip but we read [insert other site name here]'s review and they gave their chip a 10/10 so we're obviously wrong so we're going to give it a 11/10. AMD must have deliberately given us the worst chip they've made."

The point of multiple reviewers is to: A.) cater to different tastes and B.) to represent different experiences with the product. If bit-tech isn't allowed to give their honest opinions on the product then what's the point of them reviewing it in the first place?

16. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Yes it's easy to do a proper search using Bing that will find some nut who gives this CPU the thumbs up.

Fact is, this site and it's sister mag Custom PC are some of the most trusted reviewers in this industry. They are not going to dump on something without good reason.

Think about that before you bad mouth this place.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

<3 you guys *hugs*

:)

I do agree - as always we encourage a look across the industry, but bear in mind multiple regions have multiple prices that they work from too :)

18. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The only reason I can find for this chip to be rated down is that it's not worth the money pure and simple. And I do give Bit-Tech the props for admitting it...

I mean look at what Guru3D has become.

19. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

Thanks C!

20. alireza

alireza What's a Dremel?

I would'nt recommend this CPU (phenom II X4 965 BE) to any one due to it's poor performance and overclocking ability compared to other same range CPU's come from intel! I think it's better for AMD to focus more on it's Graphics card rather than CPU market where intel is the best vendor with it's fast, efficient and overclockable! CPUs with very very low power comsumption! I have already bought an ATI HD 5770 and it's a great GPU for money! buying a core i5 760 for just more 20$ will be the better option! follow this link and read all the review pages to understand what I am talking about:!!
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2009/09/08/intel-core-i5-and-i7-lynnfield-cpu-review/1

Tags: Add Tags