1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 27 Apr 2010.

1. BioSniper

BioSniper New Member

Is it possible that you could compare it to the i5-750, just to see what these are like compared to the "middle of the road" chip so to speak?

2. Nikols

Nikols New Member

Ooh £247 on scan

3. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Our i5-750 numbers are a few months old so drivers have moved on, so take these numbers with a pinch of salt, but it scored:

i5-750: X6 1090T BE

1,290 in the image editing test versus 1,087
    1,937 in the video encoding test versus 1,992
    1,140 in the multi-tasking test versus 1,023
    1,456 overall score versus 1,367
    43fps/93fps in X3: TC versus 30fps/80fps
    14,114 in Cinebench R10 versus 18,671

So, a pretty convincing win for the i5-750 in most tests, plus don't forget its close to £80 cheaper (£160 versus £240).

4. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog New Member

According to Tom's, The i5-750 performs about the same in the games tests at stock speed and I doubt that the results would change much once overclocked. So at least in games it seems to be like for like with a £150 processor. But in multitasking tests it left the i5-750 miles behind and caught up with the i7 CPUs.

So if I was building a system mainly for gaming right now it would be based around the i5-750. If I had more money to through at the system or frequently use multitasking apps that require more horse power then I would go for the i7-930.

As Bit-Tech says in the last paragraph:
    Only if you have a compatible AMD motherboard and just want to upgrade the CPU should you look to buy the Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition.

5. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Christ that review is an utter joke. They don't even list what resolution is used on the game tests (kindof important when trying to compare processors.....) only 'maximum settings'. The Warhead minimum framerates are very odd, nearly 3 times the i7 930 @ 4ghz? I'm sorry but no.

As a quick comparison Bit's review shows the Core i7-980X (6 core) to be barely faster (minimum or average) than the Core i7-930 in Crysis at the same clock speed (well 4.4 vs 4.3).

6. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

very interested in the 1055t,

to be honest the 750 is a great chip but with little upgrade path, the 930 is old and board and memory costs hinder.

my guess is that this chip will become more and more relevent as time moves on and cores are utilised but am3 (and the chip) are old tech.

I'm looking for an upgrade from the 939 board and basically want great multitasking and reasonable gaming - most notably with starcraft 2 and fall out on high with 3d (looking at a gtx 470), on the work side its the multitasking and rendering that will swing it.

will likely have closed loop water cooling on graphix and cpu.

7. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

ok so what is the best am3 mobo for over clocking?
    (oh and where is the edit button?)

8. Redkachina

Redkachina Califragilistsic Expialidocious

tbh I'm quite disappointed with its performance.. I'll just keep my PII 965 for another few months..or another year..

9. crazyceo

crazyceo New Member

I'm not putting the boot in here on AMD or their fans since you already know my stance.

However, when you question the integrity and professionalism of Bit-Tech/CustomPC just because their conclusions don't meet your approval, well that just pisses me off.

This sight and sister mag have always held the upmost respect from the industry for their honesty and incorruptibility. Never have they given favourable review of products unless the products from any manufacturer were worthy of that praise. I'm sure they've been offered all kinds of freebies and temptations to find the substandard products as better than they are. I can say with all certainty they have cast them aside and gone ahead with the truthful review.

Just because an AMD product gets hammered, why is that time to call this site into question?

I am a huge fanboy of Intel and Nvidia, my hands are held up! but that hasn't stopped me buying an ATi card for a recent new build. That was based entirely on the recommendation of this site and mag. I also picked up the Intel CPU because they also recommended it.

So before you badmouth the good people here because they didn't accept the AMD BS about their "kick ass" new CPU. Think! before that brain farts again!

10. crazyceo

crazyceo New Member

sorry spell check *site!

11. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Yes, 2 game tests, medium resolution - 2 of the games most notable for hammering processors, no less - an openworld space sim, and the one, the only (can it play) Crysis. Using a medium resolution ensures the system isn't GPU-bound, so the results reflect a processor bottleneck across the board. Which gives you more of an idea as to what processor is struggling (hint - it's not the Intel).

12. crazyceo

crazyceo New Member

After looking again at the scores, I just realised that the overall media score was nearly caught by the Intel Core i3-530 system I built this weekend. My overall score is 1569 to 1090T's 1638.

That's really quiet bad in comparison since I built the budget PC using a CPU which is 40% the price of this one.

13. south side sammy

south side sammy Member

I ordered one last night at 6p.m..... the BE. I got up this morning, read the reviews and canceled my order. Gaming performance was only part of my reasoning. I think the biggest thing was the "old" memory controller. We're in the 21st century and they haven't given us anything new that would have pushed this thing over the top.... Considering the time they had to work on it.....shame on AMD for that. They're supposed to launch another variation in the coming month's. Don't remember what it's called but it's supposed to be a little different somehow. Keeping fingers crossed. Hate to feed Intel more money but I'm getting impatient here.

14. Nikols

Nikols New Member

I'm not questioning bit-techs integrity, I am as I stated confused that so many sites are giving this a big thumbs up and recommended star while bit-techs review states that it underperforms. There may or may not be a technical reason for this. I am excited that this chip is out, I've bought it. But I'm not a big kid who needs everything he owns to be hailed by reviewers. I trust bit-tech reviews over all others and have bought a fair wack of hardware based on their thumbs up. It just that having read several reviews this one goes against the grain. So, as I said, it's confusing...

15. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

The arcitecture is 6-7 years out of date is Amds main issue once it's fixed it will be alot better

it does prove how far ahead intel is across the board now though

16. Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos I Will Snipe You!

I recon Supreme Commander should have been included in the benchmarks - as that game loves multi-cored processors.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We're always up for a discussion and open to opinion with those who make comments and are open to our point of view, as we are theirs, as has been proven above^^ and in many other articles. However you've been here a while now and every-single-comment you have made is negative, boarderline inflammatory against others and staff. If you don't like it, don't read it, and take your soap-box fanboyism elsewhere, before I put a boot up your arse.

This is not singling you out because you don't like the review, it's because you are a troll.

18. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Honestly, we're pro AMD in the GTX 480 review. We're Intel Biased here. Could you make up your minds as to who you think is paying us for our reviews please?

The killer here seems to be the gaming performance. Someway behind the 930 for a chip that costs the same. Good power consumption though. As our score guide says,

"7/10Worth Considering

A seven is anything but a bad score – in fact, it reflects the fact that the product is a good one; one that at least meets our expectations on all fronts and exceeds them in quite a few areas. However, a product given a seven is prevented from reaching a higher score by a number of factors that potential purchasers should consider. It’s not a product for everyone, but it’s one that is well-worth considering if you are in the target demographic."

In this case, that factor holding back the chip from scoring higher was game performance, as measured in two games that are well known CPU hogs. We test at low resolutions here because this means that the CPU (that thing we're testing) is the bottleneck, not the other hardware in the system.

It's not a 3/10, or a 5/10, which some of you are reacting as though it is. It's a CPU that while not for everyone, is still worth considering. As the primary use of the high end computer hardware we review is going to be real world gaming, I think it's fair to take that a little more into consideration.

Last edited: 27 Apr 2010
  19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nikols - Look at it from the perspective of cost. Many others don't. For them, numbers win: six core to six core.

Our conclusion is that it's worth considering - exactly in line with our Score Guide, however there are and have been equally good, if not better, cost competitive alternatives on the market.

south side sammy - with respect to AMD, the memory controller has to be compatible with older design to get socket compatibility with previous boards. AMD has actually improved the memory overclocking yet again for this CPU and it'll hit 2,000MHz now where previously that was impossible. G.Skill has just today announced (hit my inbox an hour ago) 2000MHz CL7 kits for AMD's 6-core.

20. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Meh, I've dived in with one. It's bound to be good for my music recording and Folding if nowt else. And if I stick in a decent graphics card and play a few games on it, is anyone going to argue? Thought not. :D

Tags: Add Tags