1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics AMD R290X GPU - Titan Killer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neogumbercules, 23 Sep 2013.

1. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I'd like the option. The third party companies always release a completely stock design.

2. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

'Bout time a high-end red card looked the part!

3. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

copying Nvidia with seperate product branding , 3 ultra high end on the new tech (1 more than nv with titan and titan le) and reshuffle the current GCN range (again as nv have done)

4. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

XTX, XT, Pro? :D

5. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I love the way it looks. A nice deviation from the Titan's industrial shroud.

Sent from Bittech Android app

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Am i the only one who think it looks like a lump of cheap tacky brittle plastic with a few red lines painted on it? Its really not much different to what they've had since forever.

7. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

It looks cheap and plastic-y to me. Absolutely nothing like Titan.

As for this AMD card being a Titan killer? I guess that depends how you look at it. When it comes to game performance? well it may be ahead. Thing is, Titan is GK110 which is pretty much the core architecture designed for Tesla.

So I guess it all depends how you look at whether Titan is worth the money. If you are folding or running BOINC? I bet this AMD card won't go near it.

And yeah, 6gb vram is massive overkill but then it's 2gb more than the AMD card has.

I dunno, it just looks like the Asus 5870 Matrix to me.

8. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

^ But compared to a 780 it has more memory and more memory bandwidth, and will (probably) outperform it comfortably for a lower price. The reference card is a bit better looking than the last design, but people will obviously be buying the custom cooled ones normally.

9. AlienwareAndy

TBH it just looks like what it is, a cheaply made gaming card.

It's that old 8 core monster in me again dude. I love the Titan, simply as what it does as a computational device. It may be slower than this new AMD card but I bet it won't have the technology or financial backing behind it.

I'm also completely against blower coolers. AMD ought to be shot for busting out that crap on a card like this. I mean at least make the shroud out of alu like they did with the 3870x2 (the original one, 4850x2 had the same cooler).

IMO if it's going to beat Titan then it needs to drop the plastic and look a bit serious.

10. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

It's not going to cost £900 though - if it were I'm sure AMD would have put a fancier reference design in :)

Not all blower cards are noisy though. The HIS 7950 IceQ by all accounts is quieter than the MSI Twin Frozr 7950.

The AMD presentation had interesting points about the Frostbite 3 engine. It will use all 8 cores on AMD CPUs (and the consoles) to eliminate CPU bottlenecks as much as possible. That's something like 13 major games planned with that engine.

11. AlienwareAndy

The 780 doesn't cost £900 and it sports the same luxurious cooler.

TBH? *any* GPU costing £400 or above needs to offer something for the money.

I'll never get over paying £439 for my 7970 only to find that at 1ghz it got as hot as a coal. Pigging crap cooler.

12. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

FTFY:thumb:

13. AlienwareAndy

TBH BF4 leaves me cold.

Now Mirror's Edge II? Oh dear...

14. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

I like Mirror's Edge! I got it in the HB deal. A bit repetitive but impressive graphics for quite an old game.

The 7970 reference design was a bit rubbish. With a decent cooler they're great. My Asus 7970 (which I sold to Kovoet) had very low temps at 1125MHz and barely made a sound.

15. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

At boosted clock speeds, the R9-290X is more than 20% faster than the Titan for FP work. At base clock speeds it is only 1% faster, but it is still faster. So, unless the Titan stays cooler, and therefore boosts more, the new card will outperform the Titan for BOINC/FAH and other GPGPU apps.

16. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

to be honest you're not paying for the cheap plastic shroud, you're paying for the tech behind it.

17. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Yes. It is like expensive PSU... There is only so much u could spend on the chassis

18. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

wouldn't touch anything NVidia for compute work - unless the only thing you do is folding then AMD products are far far better. crippled FP32 in nv since forever is the problem.

19. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

This green versus red makes me laugh. They need each other whether you like it or not. I have had both and my favorite will be the red team but I'm not that ignorant not to try the other cards as I've had some awesome nvidia cards.

If nvidia was alone in this market a lot of you would not even have a card as there prices would be sky high. They both have there strengths in different areas.

20. Xaine

Xaine Death... destroyer of brain cells

Am red team myself and will be going red again by the looks of it, but tbh the biased nature we seem to have with companies is rarely ever based on numbers, i'm personally lucky atm that some of the best tech I can afford is ones that also make my fufu tingle with delightful dreams of a red black and white rig, though I am taking a leap this time, against my biased nature i'm leaving AMD for intel with it's sexy i5's

Also, I reckon, it doesnt matter to a certain degree with pricing, if you willing to pay 900 quid for a mid range computer, chances are if the pricing just happened to be more around 1800, youd still pay it as it's classified as mid range and offers performance for a medium price in comparison, people who can save for a 900 quid rig could save for a 1800 quid rig, you just classify that in your mind as being too pricey for mid range as the standard states 900 is the norm.

Last edited: 26 Sep 2013