1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics AMD R290X GPU - Titan Killer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neogumbercules, 23 Sep 2013.

1. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Surely that means that you'd need PCI-E 3.0? Since we're near the point of total saturation of the standard 16x 2.0 bus, so adding a load of extra traffic for frame transmission and other Crossfire bits would just tank performance, would it not?

I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty certain that Bandwidth was the main reason that Nvidia and ATI moved to separate connectors in the first place (Beyond Nvidia nicking up 3DFX's SLI system.)

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

That's my thought as well. I can't see AMD dropping Crossfire on their top end card, so they must be going for a solution that uses the PCIe connectors. Yet is that going to impact performance/latency, or restrict who can use the feature? (To those with PCIe 3.0 only? Maybe even only specific board revisions?)

3. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

If it required PCI-E 3.0, AMD would make Crossfire impossible on AM3+ boards. That wouldn't be very sensible.

4. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

So the same price as a 780 which is as fast or faster than Titan.

Which is still a ridiculous price to charge IMO.

£400? yeah sure.

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

where did you get the idea the GTX 780 is FASTER than tian? its a cut down Titan core.....

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7356/capsule-review-evga-geforce-gtx-780-superclocked-acx/2

that's the FASTEST gtx 780 that money can buy - and , erm , titan is still ahead in 90% of all benchmarks....

6. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

Overclocked 780s can outperform a stock Titan, but not an overclocked Titan.

I'd be really surprised if the 290X doesn't at least match a Titan. It's likely to do better a high resolutions too thanks to the massive memory bandwidth.

7. AlienwareAndy

My understanding was at review time that due to less 'hardware' (cores, clusters whatever they want to call them, or even shader units) the 780 could be clocked far higher than a Titan, meaning it would be faster for gaming.

That was pretty much what every review showed when the 780 launched.

Mind you let's face it, Titan was never designed to be a gaming card.

I paid (over paid) £439 for my 7970 at launch and it was much faster than the 580. I thought that was way too much. I only did so because I had a good bit of fortune.

8. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

not really - that anadtech review was using the very latest drivers - dated 4 days ago.

and that's the fastest GTX 780 money can buy

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Err, that link proved the point? When the EVGA 780 ACX was overclocked manually, beyond the factory settings, it beat out a Titan across the board, but not by much.

An overclocked 780 can just about beat a stock Titan, but the Titan when overclocked is faster. Simples.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These also show NVIDIA's current dominance at the top end. Hopefully this will shake up the market.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Titan is a nice piece of engineering and if you have money to burn awesome.

In reality land most won't pay £400 for a gpu let alone £500.

R290x can be as fast as they want truth is there is a small market for the top end cards always was. Its the 2nd card down that picks up the sales the 7950s the 670s the 770s ect.

Lets be honest 99% of people saying a Nvidia 780 is priced to high will also not buy the r290x because shock of all it will be priced at around £500 or $599. ( which is the aprox selling price of the current 780 on amazon in the uk at least) Rumours point to this price been accurate for that card and since every other rumour is accurate id expect the price is also.

Most want more information on the r290 normal one which should be priced at a more respectable amount of money. yet if history shows us anything should perform within 5% of the top end card.

770 is £330 ish in the uk if the r290 performs better and is less cash then AMD is on to a winner.

11. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

I can't help but wonder what they'll call the inevitable dual gpu card now that they've gone and taken up the #90 moniker.

Especially seeing as nVidia supposedley has a 790 + titan ultra in the works. Once that comes out AMD needs to have something up their sleeve, if they want to keep the crown that is.

12. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

R9 280XXX?

Wait, that's probably something wholly different and wrong.

13. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

XTX?

14. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

2XR290X XTX MAXXX

Sent from Bittech Android app

15. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

On the crossfire thing, can't remember where but i saw a pic which showed the connecters, but they weren't 'cut out'. The pcb had no gaps in the edge, just the contacts.

16. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

17. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

18. AlienwareAndy

It's about time. Pesky connectors are annoying.

Aliens VS Predator? didn't the 7970 beat Titan in that?

19. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I have decided I will be getting one of these on the release day. Will sell both my 7970's and going for the plunge as usually I wait a bit.
    Damn taking as they get released.

20. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

You'll have a performance drop - though you'll get the new stuff like the fancy audio.