1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics AMD R9 Fury X Release Date & Price

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by damien c, 16 Jun 2015.

1. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Which is for all intents and purposes, around 490 euros. +/-15 euros is a margin for exchange rate fluctuation and local store profit.

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

First sets of benchies starting to appear.

[​IMG]

Source

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Pity they are done by AMD who will have been in super cherry pick mode. The fact the 980TI is close in even those suggests it will be similar or 1% better / worse dependent on game. Same as its always been whilst behind the Titan still. That will disapoint some people who wanted a Titan killer GPU.

quick edit

also Farcry 4 was already benched by AMD with different settings ( Higher quality settings) and getting better FPS than is shown in those benchmarks. 53 avr fps if I remember correctly.

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Last edited: 19 Jun 2015
  5. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

To me it is pretty poor of AMD to be restricting reviews due to reviewers actually showing real world performance of a companies products and giving there honest opinion about it, and not just fluffing the reviews to make it look better than it actually is.

I have to ask myself how many reviewers out there now are going to give the AMD products more favourable reviews for fear of not being allowed to review future products, using samples sent to them by AMD and instead either having to purchase the product or wait for other manufacturers such as, ASUS, Gigabyte or MSI to send them a sample.

6. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Good move by AMD and bold.

7. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Can I just ask why is it a good move by AMD?

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I don't want to sound anti AMD in anyway and maybe I'm just reading to much into things, but something smells fishy about how AMD are dealing with these new cards.

All the talk coming directly from AMD seems to be very circumspect and ambiguous, I hope I'm wrong but when they use words like "around" 1.5x the performance per watt, "typically" consumes around 275W, not saying what level of DX12 is going to be supported, weeks of hype and teasers, and as GeorgeK reported withdrawing samples.

I really, really hope I'm wrong and I'm worrying over nothing but something just doesn't feel right. :worried:

9. GeorgeK

I'm also failing to see how this is a good move - it's good for them if they're trying to hide something but the backlash against them may do them more harm than good. It's already making me lean more towards nvidia tbh.

10. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

To be honest with me now not working and having to be my mums full time carer and being restricted to a small amount of money each month, once I know if I am going to be entitled to carers allowance, I was looking at AMD cpu's and card's because they are cheaper than Intel/Nvidia but now I will stick to Intel/Nvidia and just save up longer.

11. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

This was my whole concern about the 1.5x performance per watt issue, it sounded like marketing to me and now the withdrawing review cards, it just doesn't paint a positive picture at all.

I have no intentions of buying any of the cards (although if I had the money I'd buy a couple of Nano's for my mini ITX pc's in a shot) as my fairly recently purchased 970 is doing we very well.

12. loftie

loftie Modder

Simply put, what's the point of a biased(for or against) review? I don't read Kitguru, so no idea if it's true or not, if it is then it's a good move, if it's not true then I'd suggest AMD go back to researching which sites are biased and target those instead.

Also, you'd be only hurting yourself if you specifically choose one company over another - both could be accused of shady tactics. At the end of the day, choose a card with no bias toward either company becase then you'll get the best option for you price/perf/power/heat/noise :thumb:

13. GeorgeK

KitGuru aren't being accused of being biased against AMD in their reviews - they've been told that they are too negative towards AMD in their news stories etc. As far as I can tell their testing methodology is unbiased.

14. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

Good move by AMD - why should be send out cards before they are even announced - never see sony doing it!

so kit guru and the `big` review sites are having a tantrum ; deal with it, likely they are just as sick and tired of `reviewers` selling those samples , at a premium for day 0 as well.

15. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

also I would sincerely hope that kit guru can prove what was said - otherwise that's defamation right there ; as AMD can simply say ` we did not use the words negative bias at all`.

edit:

can understand why ryan shrout didn't get one - I personally wonder if he is alledgedly on nvidias payroll at times , and linus? he aims for the same market at pewdiepie - of which teens usually cant afford £600 pieces of kit without parental support....

16. rollo

rollo Modder

If anandtech don't get one or bit tech then AMD will lose a lot of sales as they are the 2 big review sites for tech. From what was been said kit guru is going to buy one and review it anyway.

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Maybe the negative stance towards AMD that KitGuru talks about was to do with this less than glowing appraisal that they published.

Last edited: 19 Jun 2015
  18. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

19. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

oh no, it'll only have 3.5 gig of hbm memory maybe ....

20. rollo

rollo Modder

The harsh reality is what he says is pretty accurate. He wants a competitive GPU landscape instead of the current CPU landscape where Intel is so dominant that its not a competitive landscape at all.

His memory questions will only be answered with time and CFX testing. In Cfx is 2 4gb gpus enough for every setting maxed at 4k. In GTA 5 its not as the game will not let you enable the settings.

Theres only 2 games really worth testing at this point for gpu performance and thats Witcher 3 and GTA 5 without either benchmark not sure how relivent any benchmark testing will be.

And in the end of the day everyone is entitled to there own feelings. AMD has to make sure that the positive out does the negative. Even if the reviews are glowing and it out performs 980ti by 3-5 fps.

How many will actually buy one over the 980ti. High end gaming market has always been a niche section of the gpu market. If you prefer AMD or Nvidia 3-5 fps wont make alot of dif to your choice. One would have to be massively ahead for it to make a dif to most people.

His complaints about rebrands in the more competitive mid price range of the market are perfectly valid. We have a 960 970 and a 980 below the £400 mark. ( which seems to be sadly classed as mid range by the 2 company's)

AMD in comparison is the 390x 390 380 in there respective price marks all of them rebrands to some extent. All priced at £350 or below. The 380 at £150 does look a very good deal for that section of the market. As does the 390 at £265.

Will any of the 3 cards really struggle at 1080p the 380 and 960 maybe at ultra high settings in certain titles. The other 4 not very likely. Should a sub £400 card be able to drive 4k is another question.

16nm however close it maybe will not suddenly be 100% more performance even if it can do this Nvidia and AMD will not destroy there entire product line to release a card thats 100% faster than what came before at half the price.

Its not how business works incremental improvements will always win out in the eyes of the share holders as they can milk the cash cow for longer. It would take a 3rd party to say this is what 16nm is capable off and blow away both of them to really shake up this way of thinking ( Same applys to CPUs )