1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics AMD R9 Fury X Release Date & Price

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by damien c, 16 Jun 2015.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

the `harsh reality` is he had a temper tantrum - then cries when AMD go `your funny mate` and bins them for reviews.

KG should understand if you openly attack a company then , in this real world of ours , then wont do business with you again. He`ll have to wait in line - behind those with deep pockets - and either beg an IHV or buy one himself.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Id imagine he will still get given the GPU to test just at shot notice. Every manufacuture rebrands something be it phones cpus gpus whatever.

Some people are happy with it some not.

The r295x still looks the best value gpu on the market and it will trash fuji for the same price if your willing to go duel gpu on a single card. ( im not personally but others would)

AMD whatever way or however way you look at it still needs to be a competitive player in the both the GPU and CPU markets. People are getting a bit Antsy as if the product they were launching was exeptional they would be singing its praises from here to the end of the world.

Instead the likely scenario will be 3-5fps here and there game dependent.

Been openly attacked is pretty normal for most company's. Samsung and Apple attack each other who needs PR fanboys when they will Advertise directly to abuse each others product.

Everyone should be praying and hoping AMD have made a killer GPU that will not only beat the 980ti but the Titan as well and force a more competitive GPU landscape for PC Hardware enthusiasts.

KG probably not gone about it the correct way but he does speak alot of truth wether you like him or not. Do we really want to see the GPU market become the CPU market?

When was AMD truly last competitive? Ignore the thing that they are priced better which is irelivent to most of us here. Take AMDs fastest CPU and put it vs Intels Fastest and list when they were last competitive on performance. I think it was before Core 2 Duo was launched I might be wrong there.

Surely even you would like to see AMD produce a more competitive CPU and GPU market Harlequin?

4. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

To me the rebrands are not really a issue since there is a new top of the line card coming but they should only rebrand the top 2 cards from the previous generation, as they are charging around £100 more for a rebranded card, that is taking the piss out of the people who will buy it.

I just feel sorry for the people buying the 390X thinking they are getting a new card when they could just buy a 290X and save themselves some money and get the same card.

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

That might be but surely it would therefore be in AMD's best interest to provide them with a product (if it's as good as they claim it is) to prove them wrong / stick up two fingers / whatever. Unfortunately I have had a read around today and I have come out with more respect for KitGuru than AMD...

6. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 It was funny when I was 12

If you drop that amount of cash on a card without doing your research, then I have 0 sympathy.

With regards to the kitguru stuff - Did he just seriously trot out journalistic independence because the privilege of playing with a shiny new toy was revoked??! The entire business of reviews is mostly just an extension of PR departments anyways - unless it's the flagship part or has some other awesome selling feature - the companies aren't going to send it off for review.

7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

8. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 It was funny when I was 12

In any event, we midaswell get use to rebrands. After going from 80nm to 40nm in 2.5 years, it took 3 years to get to 28nm and with 20nm being skipped, we seem to be on track for 4+ years between nodes.

When stuck on nodes, the only way to get faster is to get bigger, and at ~600 sq mm, we're already pushed past ridiculous.

9. techhead

techhead Minimodder

10. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Not sure why you would buy it instead of a 980 TI with those review scores. Its basically level pegging at 4k in Witcher 3 niether game is playable. Those Frame delays in Witcher 3 make sure of that on both cards.

GTA V 980 ti Gets better Mins at 4k. which is what matters most.

Performance below 4k is irelivent if your spending this sort of cash.

Its cool and quiet and performs well Id not buy one but thats me. It will help keep nvidia honest which can only be a good thing long term.

It could also be very good for Lan gaming pcs.

12. Thaifood

Thaifood Minimodder

i want to see air cool cards!

13. PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn Unholy Cyborg Fruit Machine

early drivers, new memory arch/controller

consider that with the driver tweaks that are "300 series" specific (despite it being 200 series re-brands) result in the 390x demonstrating near equal performance to 980.

[edit] should add that the biggest complaint about the card I see is the removal of DVI ports. might be an odd complaint, but given the Korean monitors only worked with DL-DVI (AMD, given you started the push to DP, why aren't you pushing for active adapters to be available)

Last edited: 24 Jun 2015
  14. biggyinn

biggyinn What's a Dremel?

Really love the size of the nano!!

The FURY X2 certainly looks interesting dependand on how much we in the UK end up paying ...as its not alwsys proportionate

AMD said some of its partners would be offtering the outgoing R9 295x2 for £500 i havn't seen any evidence of that yet
    Also R9 290x 8gb version have crept back up in price!

15. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Looks like the 980 ti is the better buy.