1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Radeon 6950 1GB Details Leak

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 18 Jan 2011.

1. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

i do. samsung 2233bw, 1680x1050 without trouble and very happy about it. i have no real want for going bigger. a second screen however...

2. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

Yup, me too.

Depends what I feel like playing, andwhat controller with. Got a 1920x1080 set, but that's a TV near my desk, not on. So I can't use KBM while gaming on it. Great for Dirt 2 or whatever though (occasionally CoD with a 360 controller, if I fancy a bigger screen and no keyboard).

But then I've got my 1440x900 monitors on desk, which I play on when using keyboard and mouse. Thinking of expanding to three, so that I could have a fiddle with Eyefinity/Vision Surround without spending loads of cash.

3. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Good point,i wonder if the dual BIOS switch will still be included

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

i also do. its extremely ignorant to say that nobody uses a resolution under 1920x1080, not all monitors are physically big enough to do that, most laptops don't have that, and you'd be amazed how many people still use 1280x1024, or even 1024x768 (even on widescreen monitors). i assume you also think nobody these days uses 4gb or less of memory or dual core CPUs

5. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Zero.

6. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

And that's down to the games engine only using one CPU core to plot all those meshes before they are sent to your GFX card for its texture and shader magic to be applied, and to track all the ships in the universe, rather than your GFX card having a problem.

The X3 GFX engine is extremely good and rarely pushes a GFX cards abilities unless it is a really old or an especially weak card, it is always the CPU that is the bottleneck due to it being old (a refined X2 engine really) and only using one core.

Which is probably why it is used in CPU benchmarks. ;)

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I just love people thinking the BT forum members are anywhere near the average user when it comes to hardware. ;)

Agreed.

Damnit, and all those years I thought G80 was the first DX10 chip...

8. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Yep, same here... Although I'd love a second or third Samsung 215TW (if you're selling one, PM me!!), only then would the extra RAM come in userful

9. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Well yeah, more or better would be nice, but I'm stuck with my Dell E207WFP @1680x1050, at least till I can sneak a go on the new telly!

10. timgrindall

timgrindall What's a Dremel?

More ram is always better

11. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Just drop the stupid myth that above 30FPS is impossible to tell the difference! Grow up, open your eyes and learn something. When I play and the frames drop to 40 or 50, it gets laggy! Everyone should settle for an average of 75FPS, no less!

It is POSSIBLE to tell the difference and it's best to play at higher frame rates than 30... geez...

About the card... I would like them to see a project of a card that had 512bit to address that amount of memory fast enough. I've read why they've opted for 256bit ring bus but I would like some testing on ATi's behalf. 1GB for today's standard is the minimum and for higher res it needs a bit more

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Jan 2011
  12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

why 75?

at the end of the day, you want consistant FPS, as small difference between average and minimal as possible. it doesn't matter what FPS the game is running at, even if it's constant 30, it's still good enough.

13. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

there are quite a few here who like 60fps min especially in racing games. Personally I can cope with 20fps in some games as long as the game looks well. WoW being the best example where lat is more of a problem than the low frames. each man to his own. Tho in shooting games i do like 30+ as long as its smooth rather than high frames. Half life 2 can get annoying as it jumps between 100+ to below 60. While not unplayable you do notice the change.

Either way i game on a 22" 1680 X 1050 using a 512mb 4870. Yes there has been times i've hit the memory wall like of fallout 3 and NV. Comfortable with 0 AA, 2 AA drops it to unplayable. If i had the 1gb version the game would still be playable.

14. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Because not everyone can have the top of the range graphics card and I meant 75fps average as 75fps consistant, as you said. Nothing like 30minimum and 120max.

I have been through a handful of configs to get the best out of Black Ops and 75 was the consistence that people should aim for at least. With a new one I get 100FPS average and 150max. constant 30 for a fast-paced or action-filled fps is no good. Since I tried the new config, the difference between 75 and 90-100 was clear right from the start.

Tags: Add Tags