1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Radeon HD 6990 4GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 8 Mar 2011.

1. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Just far far far too expensive to be practical at the moment and i dont think it can justify its price....its almost the half the build cost of a decent gaming pc on its own..

2. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

I can't help but think, use some different games!

That is defintely a beast of a card, although I still think 2x 6950's re flashed to 6970's is the way to go. Just shy over £400 too.

Whether i agree with Andrew or not, i can't help but feel the same way with the your current games list.

3. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Where's the Crysis bench? :p

(honestly BT need to increase the number of gaming benchmarks, none of those games really showed much for the card except when the 2 cores bulldozed through 2560x1600 res).

Last edited: 8 Mar 2011
  4. DbD

DbD Minimodder

As the others say it's testing performance not game quality.

The other thing this would test much better is microstutter - you aren't going to see it if the min frame rate > 60fps, if you max out metro and bring the card to it's knees then you have a much better chance of finding out if it stutters.

5. Blackmoon181

Blackmoon181 Geography,Its not just colouring in

use ARMA 2 please. I want see that card cry like a little girl when the draw distance is increased !

6. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

whats the point of comparing it to a single card? is it faster/better value than crossfire/sli?

stupid stupid

7. Deders

Deders Modder

I'd play it again, once I get a card that can run it with high enough minimum framerates to make it smooth at highest detail with hardware Physx.

Isn't it the second game to be released with this engine so far?

8. chris66

chris66 Minimodder

So, is this card classed as a 'single' gpu, like the 580, or is it a duel GPU made to fit a single PCI-E slot?

9. Deders

Deders Modder

It's a dual GPU, must be early in the morning for you to miss that in the review.

10. memeroot

but not in the comparisons...

from toms

"A pair of Radeon HD 6970s sacrifices nothing except space in your case. That combo is faster, quieter, and more effective at dealing with heat. A pair of GeForce GTX 570s would be a great alternative, too."

though as my 2x 570 setup is STILL not working with sli I shall abstain

11. chris66

chris66 Minimodder

Oops! you're right, I am an idiot!
    I guess the only other GPU to compare it with, then, is the upcoming 590. Will be interesting...

(I remember paying £540 for an NVidia 7950 - still going strong in daughter's PC..)

12. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Why's that? My 2x570 Setup is working great. Runs hotter than hell though. Well, the GPU temps are fine but the hot Air it blows out of the case is scary.

Don't know why Bit-tech hate Sli/CF so much. This is my first dual GPU setup and it's worked great. I need it for the 3 displays, in fact I need more power.

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

awesome card, it'd be a hard act to follow, considering nvidia's gtx580 is already pretty power hungry as a single card, and their scaling isn't as good as 6000 series.

regarding benchmarks, BFBC2 is all that's needed at the moment. all other games feel biased, Dirt2 favours nvidia, Metro favours AMD, but at the end of the day, the competition makes sure all the end user has to do is pick a price range and buy the brand they prefer.

14. memeroot

what kind of sli bridge do you use?

I'm using a asus flexible on 2 pny cards on an emu Cheesecake board... it just bsod'ths when sli is enabled. .... :-(

15. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Same setup. I can't remember the model number of my motherboard but it's the ASUS board Bittech used to recommend for core i7 systems. Maybe your powersupply is crapping out?

16. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

" Most concerning is that AMD says that you void your warranty by using the Antilles Unlocking Switch – this is a ridiculous decision considering that the switch is a standard feature of all cards"

You might want to point out that this in contravention of UK consumer protection law.

If this feature of the card is available to consumers to use, put there by the manufacturer for consumers to use it is classed as a standard feature. It forms part of the normal working parameters of the card and is covered by the UK obligatory one year warranty AND any extra covered offered by AMD.

The manufacturer can't turn around and say "haha ...warranty voided" when the consumer uses a built in standard feature.

17. Deders

Deders Modder

Try a solid one, i had problems getting the flexi bridge that came with my motherboard to work properly.

18. bemused

bemused What's a Dremel?

Way too much money I think, £450 is probably my max. for a GPU given how fast they depreciate.

19. Gresel09

Gresel09 What's a Dremel?

Radeon HD 6990 is an awesome graphics card. I want to buy this but the price is really high. I'll just when the price goes low so that I can afford. I'm not really a heavy gamer, and now I'm still using my GF 9500GT card.:D

20. Crowder10

Crowder10 What's a Dremel?

Tags: Add Tags