1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Radeon HD 7990 6GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 24 Apr 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

Last edited: 25 Apr 2013
  2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Ooooh what a nice morning treat to read with brekkie!

3. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Well-Known Member

Just like to point out it links to the firefox OS thread at the mo.

4. jizwizard

jizwizard Well-Known Member

Were the prototype drivers used with the card?

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Well-Known Member

6. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I can only see the point of dual GPU cards in extreme ITX builds these days (unless you're going for some unbelievably expensive/inconsistent quad SLI/CF cheesecake).

For anything else two single GPU cards are easily the best bet.

7. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

Nice review also totally get the end comments, fast it maybe but your totally reliant on amd to keep it that way, nice that you added 2 7970ghz in Cfx they kinda stomped both duel gpu cards for alot less cash.

A niche within a niche these duel gpu cards always have been this seems to take it further into niche territory.

We're board partners not offering a 7990 for sub £800 like 6 months ago I remember seeing, don't see why anyone would give amd £860 for there's if a board partner offers the same thing cheaper.

8. Hustler

Hustler Well-Known Member

UK=$1307 (at current exchange rate)
    US=$1096 (inc sales tax at an average 9.6%)

So the 'rip off UK' premium is over $200.

Nice to know we are still being used & abused as a subsidy pot for the US consumer.

9. Shirty

Lucky nobody on here will buy one then :)

10. Hustler

Hustler Well-Known Member

Yeah but this sort of disgusting price gouging of the UK consumer, finds it's way down the entire GPU line up, to the cheaper cards that people do actually buy.

11. DbD

DbD Member

Too late. Most people with that money would be better with a titan as it's a single gpu - sure not quite as fast but much more likely to just work without stuttering or xfire profiles or any of that. Particularly right now as any of the reviews using FCAT will tell you 7990 is a stuttery mess.

Then as review says even if you must buy AMD you'd be much better off with two 7970's. A lot cheaper - even more so as you get two games bundles so can sell one of them.

12. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

I always see these types of video cards in the same way I see cars like the Lamborghini Aventador: I'll never own or drive one, I don't care if they are made or not, and they are completely irrelevant to me in every way, but if someone is going to blat the accelerator as they pass me I'm going to look and enjoy the noise.

Thanks for the eye and earful, now I'm going back to my perky little Sport-i-box that was once quite upmarket.

13. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Just like I was expecting.

It's overpriced compared to 2 high end single cards except obviously the Titan, but offers lower performance than 2 high end cards in SLI or CF.

Why isn't there any GTX 680 sli test's included?

Last edited: 24 Apr 2013
  14. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Nice to see they actually give you 3GB VRAM per GPU. Only good thing...

Why they haven't put this card cheaper than a pair of HD7970's I never know... The HD5970 was ~$100 cheaper than a pair of HD5870's, same with the HD6990 being ~$100 cheaper than a pair of HD6970's...

So why isn't this card at the same price point of ~£560 compared to the previous Dual GPU cards?

These companies really know how to price their products out of the market the fools!...

15. Shirty

They're just trying to piggy back on the "ultra exclusive" nature of the 690 and Titan.

AMD lost the plot a while ago with the 7870 LE, which is really a 7930 :rolleyes:

16. Harlequin

Harlequin Well-Known Member

NVidia lost the plot with the £900 titan.... amd want some of that overpriced `pie`

17. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

It's pure Cheesecake if you ask me... If this is how the future is gonna go, with stupid high prices on cards that are 40-50% over priced, then I will take my money and spend it else where...Back to a games console I will go, and say **** you AMD/nVidia - Thank you for killing off PC gaming you greedy tossers...

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag New Member

Makes me wonder how different the comments would be if the price were different. Seems to be a lot of rage about the price of this card when I'm sure almost everyone complaining about it's price wouldn't buy the Titan either.

Anyways, I understand why AMD prevented overclocking on this. I'm sure there've been people who overclocked the 6990, bricked it, and expected a replacement. However, IMO the most logical reason to overclock is to make a cheaper GPU perform like a more expensive one. Overclocking something like this is overkill, and by the time there's a game out there that it can't play above 60FPS, there'll be a mid-range GPU that will, and will be more power efficient.

So, I personally feel that getting 2 7970s or 2 GTX680s and overclocking them is more cost effective, but won't get you the best performance possible. Keep in mind that there are motherboards out there that support 4x crossfire. Get 4 7990s and that's an unbeatable amount of performance - and a power bill that could cover a small city.

19. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

My comment if it were not for the price, would have been better because it would have been along the lines of good performance for a good price.

Personally I wouldn't buy a AMD Graphics setup at the moment due to drivers, but if it were not for that then I would.

Instead my next cards will either be Titans or 780's but not sure.

20. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

For the cost after watercooling of close to £4000 I'd expect it to perform out of this world as you ain't running it on air lol.

Tags: Add Tags