1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Radeon R9 Fury X Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 24 Jun 2015.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

You are making some errors here.

It doesn't matter that AMD have their chips in consoles. The pc ports use Directx or opengl to access the GPUs. Console's don't use PC APIs. At the very least there should be a dedicated low level API for each console, or they may issue instructions directly to the hardware. Either way, these shouldn't affect how the pc port uses Direct X functions.

Graphics reviews should use processors that are least likely to influence the results of the graphics cards. That's why graphics test beds should have the fastest CPU available. Which currently is from Intel. Testing anything involves isolating as many variables as possible. There's no point in using a low end CPU as then you aren't sure if the CPU restricting the result or if its just the graphics card

2. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

The point with the cpu comment was this is the system AMD would prefer you built aka not using Intel chips. They have been trying for years that's why they launched there own ssds they are trying to get people into having the complete AMD experience.

Mantle was another step in this direction. I'd like to see the scores done on a complete AMD system just to see how that process is working out for them.

They need people buying everything to really survive. Most financial people say they have till 2019 at current projected losses. Before they would be bankrupt.

3. littlepuppi

littlepuppi Currently playing MWO and loving it

A lot of water to go under the bridge to 2019 mate... AMD will survive, the X86 licence alone will ensure that...

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Seems like retail units have the same coil whine and pump whine.

5. DbD

DbD Member

They are steadily moving closer to going bust - loosing money every quarter, at some point they'll have insufficient reserves left and it'll get critical. Don't see how having an X86 license is going to help - it's not even transferable if AMD gets bought and no want wants it anyway. The rest of the world is switching to using ARM, no one wants to have to compete with Intel in x86?

Unfortunately AMD have now revealed their hand in gpu's and nothing there is going to save them. Fury doesn't look like it's going to sell particularly well vs 980Ti, and anyway that's only the top 1 or 2% of the market. For the rest they have a full range of rebrands of cards that already weren't selling well.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

To be fair to AMD they've been in a rather horrible place for the last few years, if their roadmap is correct I would expect things to turn around for them next year with the release of ZEN and the switch to 14nm GPUs with HBM2.

7. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan New Member

Seems that both Nvidia and AMD are a close match in the benches, add some driver optimizations in the next couple of months and early adopter price drops it does'nt really matter which camp you choose...

However! The problem (or disappointment) is the fact that the Fury needs extra hardware to keep it's head cool. I fear without the WC, it's going to melt to some plastic blob at the bottom of your PC case.

Give this some thoughts... the WC hardware alone will probably cost around 80-100 ish.
    They could have nailed it, if the Fury did well on fans, had HDMI 2.x and cheaper (minus the WC).

Now that would have been a game changer.

In some other review from TechReport I noted an interesting fact. The Fury is really bad in filtering textures with 16bit per color channel. So if a game uses such textures that would be a significant drop in performance.

My guess is that AMD was aiming for GTX980 performance, not expecting the GTX980Ti variant been releases right before their noses.

Last edited: 30 Jun 2015
  8. Wwhat

Wwhat Member

Maybe this is a too hopeful (or something) a stance, but I wonder how the two manufacturers compare once DX12 games are there to be tested. Since the new cards are obviously aimed at the (near) future. And DX12 can significantly change things so I wonder if the performance difference will be the same or if there suddenly will be a larger difference in favor of one of the camps.

But even if AMD were to do better in some DX12 titles, they still have the issue of that HDMI1.4 and the reported, and supposedly twice fixed, squealing noise fro the cooler. And the lack of OC capability, and the 4GB RAM limit (as of now).
    So yeah, perhaps the jump away from 28nm and a building on this experience is what will help AMD to overcome this 'placeholder'.
    And the cheaper cards are going to be interesting of course.

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

DX12 isn't some kind of magic bullet for increased GPU performance, it's aimed more at helping low end multi-core CPUs deal with large amounts of draw calls.

It's something that should have been implemented when multi-core CPUs first started to hit the market ten years ago, sadly it needed AMD and a new generation of consoles to finally give Microsoft the kick up the butt it needed to bother developing a new DirectX.

10. thom804

thom804 Member

Well, I'm necro'ing this as a mid-term test.

Had mine for over a month now and I can safely say you can cast your noise aspersions out of the window.
    The card isn't silent, but it's so quiet compared to any other air-cooled card I've ever had.

It's also rapid as hell! Bar some sub-par optimisation during hyperspeed in E:D and WoW's general poor performance with high graphics settings, it's been a phenomenal card.

Bought it at a low point on overclockers for £480 and saving £50 over the next cheapest 980Ti was a relative steal. Probably could've got it cheaper on Black Friday, but it was a total impulse buy. Along with a new SSD, and Memory....

11. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I must have been super lucky with mine, because I bought it from a guy who bought it on launch day about a week after he bought it. He only really wanted it to see what it was like and bench it against his 980ti.

My card has no whine at all. No pump whine, no pump noise and certainly no coil whine.

I originally went for two Titan Blacks for 4k but Nvidia were having all sorts of issues with Gsync and SLI as well as Kepler issues with Witcher 3. Whilst I know they did not do it on purpose I wasn't really very happy with the six month shelf life of the Titan Black, because no less than six or seven months after buying them they had been replaced with the 970 and 980 costing 1/2 to 1/3 less. Obviously I still had my 6gb VRAM but yeah, bitter pill to swallow.

Then after the 970 shenanigans I promised myself that I would not reward Nvidia again and would be going AMD.

And let's just say I have been more than pleased with my Fury X. It has taken away all of the multi GPU issues I had (and they were many with Gsync) and in some games I am even getting better performance. Then of course there are the small handful of games that did not work in SLI that I am now able to play too.

It's a very good card at 4k. TBH I don't listen to most of the nonsense that is being spread around about this card because it's quite obvious that this card was not designed for low resolutions.

Drivers too have been excellent (most notably the "Same as the 980ti at stock clocks/4k) which I was very pleased with.

I am now going to wait and see what the Fury X2 does to the drivers. If, like the launch of the 295x2 it gets AMD to pull their fingers out and sort out Crossfire I will not hesitate to add a second card. I would probably opt for the Nano, as I have seen what it can do when paired with the X in Crossfire X. I'm also waiting for the price to drop to £400 or less.

As for noise? The stock cooling was almost silent. However, due to me liking the look of them (and that they are the same as Alphacool's fans and a third of the price) I got these and am using two in push pull.

[​IMG]

I'll admit they're not exactly quiet. I also have two on my CPU's AIO as well as another one bringing air into the rig. I never really expected my rig to be quiet given its hardware. Plus I am glad, because I have taken fan speed out of AMD's hands (could have been tragic).

Tags: Add Tags