1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Radeon R9 Nano Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 10 Sep 2015.

1. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog New Member

Putting this GPU inside a SFF case will teach you noithing. Yes, it will fit but how do you compare it to other cards? You have to test those cards in a case that can fit them too. Take the Corsair 250D or the BitFenix Prodigy cases, both are designed for ITX/mATX builds and yet both fit full sized GPUs with custom coolers. Knowing how these cards perform against full size cards may also be a deciding factor on whether people buy SFF in the first place or, if they do, that they make sure they can fit a full size card as sacrificing significant performance for the size benefits may just not be worth it. So you need to know the facts and work from there.

As for why they don't have time... That is for them to answer but the fact that they have not been able to retest the 970 for the tables as of yet certainly says a lot if you ask me.

2. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Staff Administrator

The 970 is in the charts as of this very review. Granted, the 970 Mini from Asus isn't a "typical" 970 design, but there is no true reference design for this card anyway.

3. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog New Member

So it is... My bad. Apologies. I guess I got used to it not being there and became a little blind to it. Thanks for taking the time to add it in.

4. DbD

DbD Member

Most of the time it's much further off then that, anyway nano is too slow for 4k. I have trouble understanding why anyone would buy a nano?

Q: I want the ultimate small form factor gaming machine.
    A: Lots of small form factor cases now fit a GTX 980Ti which costs the same but is much faster.
    Q: But I hate Nvidia.
    A: Fury X is hardly any bigger then a nano and water cooled, is significantly faster, doesn't throttle and doesn't exhaust all it's heat into the case and costs the same.
    Q: But I don't need *that* much performance.
    A: GTX 970 mini provides 80% of the performance (at 1080p where a card like this will be good) for 1/2 the price just buy one of them.
    Q: No I really want a small case to put in my living room with my hifi, even fury X is too large.
    A: In which case nano is also too large, you want to build something based off mobile chips with something like a 960M or 970M in it. Nano doesn't have HDMI 2 either which is a problem for any high end living room setup.

5. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

I'm probably the biggest nvidia fan around for the record. And for a LAN gaming mini itx rig I would buy one. I had to buy something a lot bigger to give me the performance I need. ( which was the 980ti lol, if the nano had launched a few months back I would of considered it)

6. loftie

loftie Well-Known Member

I want the ultimate small form factor gaming machine! See here for an idea. Ok so it's a custom case, if there are any retail cases that will be that size who knows, but even in some of the SFF cases you sometimes have to make a decision between HDD cage and a small GPU, or no HDD cage and a big GPU.

The 970 mini maybe cheaper, but it's still slower. And I may not want it in the living room connected to a TV. I might just want a tiny PC.

Don't get me wrong, price/performance on the Nano is not good. It should have had HDMI 2 or the converter thrown in for the living room people. But it is the fastest small graphics card, and I'm fairly sure it's smaller than the 970 mini. I'd be rather interested to see how the Nano does at the 3840x1440.

7. DbD

DbD Member

A very slight redesign causing a slight increase in size no one would notice and you could get a fury X in there which would be a lot more ultimate then a nano.

Small form factor can mean something big enough to fit a 980Ti, a fury X, a nano, a mobile gpu. Nano is only the best if the case has to be exactly the size that only just fits a nano, not even a little larger or smaller. It also has to be built by someone who wants to game as no 1 priority so needs all the gpu they can get and has lots of money. How many people are there in the world with requirements that exact?

Talking of compactness, why did AMD stick the power cable coming out the back of the nano instead of on top like most cards?

Last edited: 11 Sep 2015
  8. enbydee

enbydee Member

Just a couple of points, just because a case CAN fit a 980Ti doesn't mean it's easy. I chose the itx 970 for my Silverstone sg08 despite the fact that it can fit a full size card; cable management and building becomes much easier, particularly given the modular power supply I had. Given space is such a premium in small cases (the prodigy isn't that small) I can see many doing the same.

9. DBA

DBA I do my modding with a spoon

Then why buy an ITX motherboard when you can fit an mATX in the case? And while we are at it, why not ditch the SFX PSU for an ATX PSU, nobody will really notice it.
    Now if we increase it just a tad more in height, we can fit an ATX mobo and 3 140mm fans in the front to better cool that huge GPU... BAM you got a monster tower you can't easily move again! and your dream of a really compact PC, that actually makes use of the small formfactor of ITX and SFX, is ruined once again.

10. Mr Evil

Mr Evil Member

I see you have never built a SFF PC. Trying to squeeze high-end components into a small space leads to overheating problems which can totally change the relative performance of two cards. Computer Base tested this [translated], measuring a little bit of throttling from both the Nano and 970 Mini. That's actually pretty damned impressive for a 175W card.

Tags: Add Tags