1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD reports $197 million loss for Q3 2015

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 16 Oct 2015.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Well-Known Member

so having the fastest and lower powering card (the 5870) wasn't all about speed or power consumption?

2. zimano

zimano Member

Reason I want more cores is H265 encoding which takes absolutely ages (example, snooker final took over a week to encode!). Corky42 + Gareth Halfacree, perhaps the confusion is how Windows reports cpu use in task manager. If I remember correctly, if you are using a program that is using 100% of a single core, Windows will report it as 25% getting used on each core on a four core system. It did this up until Windows Vista atleast, not sure why it reports it that way. Really it should say that one core is getting used 100% and the rest are doing nothing at all, 25% use on each core suggest it is spreading the work load automatically which isn't the case ofcourse.

3. Harlequin

Harlequin Well-Known Member

maybe try and octo core AMD then?

4. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

At work we use IBM pre built laptops all running Windows 7 or better. They all must hit a minimum performance. 4gb ram and i5 CPU or they get sent back and we get a replacement that's the deal we have with them.

To say word does not require 1gb ram is true but also misleading as Windows 7 requires 4gb minimum these days for the most basic of tasks.

I'd say the average user in our office has 1 copy of word, 1 copy of excel and 3-4 internet Windows ( all our main system applications are intranet based, and gain access using a internet browser) on 2gb ram and i3 systems the PC crawled and was not usable.

Even in heavy office environments the basic PC specification has gradually increased as the years have gone by. Windows xp to Windows 7 required major hardware updates for most departments.

AMD need to be in a major OEM, is there one avail I have my douts. Apple might of been the opening 2-3 years back when they were arguing for better graphics with Intel and did release a few AMD products. Now though they are a lot closer to Intel and if rumours are true about to be joined for chip production starting with the modem module of the smartphone.

5. zimano

zimano Member

That's what I have now, the AMD FX8320. In september 2013 (if I remember correctly) it was a good buy for video encoding compared to Intel. What would be ideal is an 8 core AMD with each core almost competing with Intel IPC wise. I hope Zen is this.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It doesn't matter what is better it matters what makes you more money.