1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 11 May 2017.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

What sort of temperatures were you getting with this?

3. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Around 70'C, amb 23'C as reported in Ryzen Master with an all-in-one liquid cooler. That's with our overclock of 1.425V and 3.9GHz

4. GeorgeK

Not bad temps those - the NZXT Kraken X42 isn't the absolute best of coolers either. On an open test bench I guess they will be a bit better than in a case but fairly promising nevertheless.

Thanks for the reply :thumb:

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

It's interesting to see AMD step up their game massively. It's clear now that Ryzen pretty much performs beyond our expectations and has the benefit of having more cores to make up for the fairly negligible difference.

I should've bought one. :D

6. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

As another review was titled: "Get this one"

Hopefully AMD are still making a good whack of money off these chips - it seems unusual for this one, which already seems to offer the best value, to drop 10% in price so quickly.

7. Kilmatead

Kilmatead What's a Dremel?

Not that anyone looks at final scores any more, but it's probably doubtful that "20% Overall" and "Exceptional" were intended to be wedded together in a review.

8. GeorgeK

You're not supposed to be able to see scores overall - they were removed from reviews ages ago.

9. Kilmatead

Apparently the NoScript Plugin didn't get that particular memo. :)

10. davido_labido

davido_labido Your Alphacool Contact.

We have to add an Overall score before the award can be seen, it doesn't actually matter what actual figure is. It isn't meant to be seen, just the award :) Ignore anything that is in the 'Overall' part, it is just so we can actually add the award. (any of my reviews will have 80% for instance)

11. GeorgeK

1,000,000% ? :p

12. Kilmatead

Which, subliminally, may indicate that you're a 60% more optimistic person than Antony... if everything he reviews is always 20%, that says something about his outlook on life. Has he been feeling well recently? Not seen him lurking near the balconies of BT-Towers at odd hours? Those who hide their true feelings tend to repressively explode when least expected. All sorts of clues are hidden between the lines of reviews these days...

13. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

You have no idea :)

14. davido_labido

davido_labido Your Alphacool Contact.

Antony walks around dressed as the grim reaper, I walk around dressed as a jester. I think that says it all.

15. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Impressive, and heartening for hopes of a healthy competitive CPU market. Nice to see AMD rapidly dealing with teething troubles.

My wallet waits with baited breath for the properly budget Ryzen 3 stuff though.

16. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

The 4c/8t Ryzen 3 parts are really going to rustle Intel's jimmies when they release, since Intel really doesn't have anything in the range between the low-end Pentium and mid i5s that is actually worth buying. If AMD can cannon R3 right into that segment; system builders may well eat it up by the thousand, and it should absolutely sip power and run with next to no cooling, both of which are a good thing for OEMs, since they generally like putting as little of everything in as they can get away with.

I'm surprised at just how well the all the Ryzen parts on test at Bit are clocking, but it is reinforcing my own theory that there's some specific design or configuration with the Ryzen parts that means they just will not do above 4ghz for whatever reason (Barring the odd slight exception. I think current record is 4.2?), to the point where my Taichi actually throws "No CPU" after a crash if I push too high.

17. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Agreed, Quadcore Ryzen 3 with a price in the rough ballpark of an i3-7300 is going to kick some serious butt:thumb:

18. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Interesting that this one has virtually identical (slightly lower, within 1 FPS) gaming results to the 1500x.

Still, considering the extra cores, for an extra £10, I'd go for it.

Last edited: 12 May 2017
  19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Nice review - I do hope the Ryzen platform has long legs, so AMD can start making some serious money and maintain the competition.

Ryzen 3 is a quad but not multi-threaded iirc, but it'll still put boot to arse IMO.

20. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I don't see Intel having anything waiting in the wings that will best the value being offered by AMD. So hopefully big market segment and profits are on their way.

Tags: Add Tags