1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD sells hand-held division

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 Jan 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Goty

Goty Minimodder

I think this was a good move on AMD's part. They don't need to be diverse now, they need to concentrate on the markets that make them the most money and divert the engineering manpower from the peripheral projects towards getting their next-gen products (be it GPU or CPU) out the door in as timely a manner as possible and in the best shape they can be.

3. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

agreed, although selling parts of a company is never an ideal situation qualcomm is a good company and amd needs the cash.

4. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

I can't see the cause and effect here. A sale like this couldn't be arranged in a few days, so I don't see it as a consequence of the current CPU price drops or in anticipation of a price war.

Rather it is because; AMD has no money to fritter on non-core competencies -> hand-held division makes AMD no/little money -> the asset (the division) requires constant investment in resources to maintain value or it suffers depreciation -> AMD isn't interested in or is unable to maintain a presence in the market -> AMD sells asset while it has value.

5. xprodancer

xprodancer life is like a box of chocolates

After reading about the fine qualcomm has on its houlders i think AMD should keep this to themselfs for now! when it comes to the fact there not making, as poeple say little to no money, then they should start to push this into the markets and get it out there!!!! how else they gona make there money! if they see that it does not sell in the market, then the time is to sell as is, but to some other company! that has no fines on there shoulders for dodgy patenting deals to other companys that are paying way to much for it!!!

Tags: Add Tags