1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD sneaks out new FX chips, hints at ARM deal

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 6 Feb 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

doesnt matter if its running @5Ghz its still painfully slow in most modern applications compared to intels offerings at a similar price bracket.

Dont get me know im not a fanboy my recent build is based around a A6-3500 for my media PC and it works a treat. AMD just need to get it together at the mid to high end market as they have nothing worth buying. Intel equivalents are simply much much faster for the same price and bumping a few extra hundred mhz on poor performing instructions per-clock does nothing. Its like sprinkling glitter on crap.

3. runbmp

runbmp What's a Dremel?

I'm looking for performance in my next build. I really want to side with AMD. Love their GPU offerings, however in the CPU dept it still doesn't seem to have something that overshadows intel.

Mobile cpu's are nice, but the market is just flooded with options to browse and play angry birds on the go.

I had a taste of it in my M14x with Intel and Nvidia optimus. Possibly the worst implementation and feature set to ruin a gaming laptop. Ever since then I've been wanting to move over completely to AMD.

4. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

So for the 8150 with liquid cooling, we should pay nearly a 30% premium over an Intel chip (2600k, let alone 2700k) that can spank the pants off of it in 90% of benchmarks (and basically 100% of real world use for 98% of users)? Heck the 6200 is also a bit more money than some of the dual core SB parts...all of which are faster.

I thought it was bad that Bulldozers performed so badly, but the fact that you basically can't buy one for cheaper than an Intel part at the same performance level is sad. At least AMD previously used to be cheaper for the same performance on the low/mid-level. Now they can't even claim that.

Seems like only Llano is worth anything, and that is only because of the pretty nice on die GPU...which if Intel is to be believed (baring driver issues), Ivy Bridge on the top level integrated GPU is going to be about on par or maybe even a little faster than current Llano iGPU bits...with CPU cores mustering the better part of double the performance.

5. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Looking at similarly specced SKUs, yes IB is expected to be faster than Llano, but Trinity is supposed to perform better than IB (in 3D apps). So at the market segment that Llano is geared toward, Trinity will become the APU of choice. It doesn't have as powerful a CPU core as IB, but the iGPU is far more powerful.

This means that whichever is the faster will depend on what you want to use it for (much the same as current generation processors). According to AMD, Trinity will outperform IB in 3D applications by over 100% on similar products. Seems about normal to me, although I agree with everyone that wants to see them compete in the high-end market as well. Hopefully, working with IBM and ARM will help AMD get back into the high performance market.

6. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

"Tempted by a chip running at 4.2GHz stock"

That still only makes it as fast as a near 3yr old 955 Phenom 2 Quad Core @3.6Ghz (which BTW has 4 REAL cores) not 2 cores with AMD Hyperthreading, like these FX turkeys.

7. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

And you are excited because?

8. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

AMD Hyperthreading is one of the dumber terms I've heard to describe it, but I'm too tired to explain why. You're obviously half-trolling, so carry on.

From the sound of it, with all that came out from AMD's FAD, we might be near the end of AMD even releasing processors into this space. Trinity is aimed at the same market Llano is currently, while PileDriver may not even put an appearance in replacing BD on the consumer desktop.

For everyone still hating on AMD, will Intel look that much better when they stick you $500 for the equivalent of the 2500K in the generation following IB? Disappointing as BD has been, we're all going to be worse off if AMD gives up that end of the market entirely.

9. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

so technically speaking AMD was the first to "break" the stock 4ghz barrier then :)

10. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

Here is the issue with Trinity. AMD doesn't have anything resembling a firm release date. We think it is going to be before the end of Q2. Intel on the other hand seems pretty firm on somewhere in the begining of Q2 for IB. Also we have no idea what the TDP and real power use numbers of Trinity is. IB by all accounts looks like it is going to be a fair amount better than SB, which is worlds better than Llano except in the ULV catagory where Llano seems to be vaguely on par.

Since Trinity is not moving to a smaller process size and IS using the power thirsty Bulldozer cores, as well as supposedly a better GPU...I just do not see how AMD can be reducing power use of the chips (even if the 32nm node is doing better for them by the time Trinity comes around) with what they are attempting. IB on the other hand, even with the same TDP numbers in ULV sounds like they are likely in real world use to reduce power use a bit, combined with, lets call it, double the GPU performance and better CPU performance.

Looking at Llano benchmarks, some of the games even at the lower and mid level resolutions the chips are benchmarked at are CPU limited in part because of the poor CPU component to Llano, but also because of how the memory is shared between the GPU and CPU in Llano...which I don't believe Trinity is changing (but is using a hotter GPU, which'll use more memory bandwidth). So enter IB which has on par or better GPU performance to Llano, but has NO CPU bottlenecks nor memory bottlenecks that seem relevant up against Llano, which is CPU limited sometimes and at best as as good a GPU or Trinity which probably will use more power, might have a much better GPU, but unless bulldozer is improved is likely to have WORSE CPU than Llano, and isn't solving the memory bottle neck of AMDs APUs.

That sounds like a recipe of a really nice iGPU, that can't perform to its fullest because it is stuck with a piss poor CPU and insufficient memory bandwidth when sharing with the CPU.

11. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Yeah what he said ^^^ :p

Tags: Add Tags