1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD talks Zen, FinFET, and HBM for GPUs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 7 May 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

40% is a very nice number - let's hope it doesn't turn out to be just hype, like the 50% performance lead the 8150 was supposed to have over the i7. We might actually get some decent competition at the high-end of the market again!

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Believe it when I see it. To be brutally honest expect zen if ever sometime in 2017 with amds time tables over optimistic at best.

4. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

shall we talk about i9ntel and their `on time` roadmaps of recent?oh - Samsung have beaten them to the new node ;)

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Never suggested they were better. Something launched on time and close to performance expectations would be nice.

6. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

7. rollo

rollo Modder

Would it be a major surprise if we get 1 high end card and a bunch of rehashes not so sure it would.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Didn't Lisa Su say as much in a recent financial report?

9. SchizoFrog

Why would you develop a chip and architecture for the performance crown but then not use it in the rest of the line up? It all seems to hint at issues with maybe heat or power draw, things that aren't usually concerns for the extreme product, especially if it comes pre water-cooled, but is thus not suitable for mainstream use. However, the issues could be far worse as performance may be far behind what they expected once things are reduced throughout the line up.

I believe nVidia is currently pulling further ahead in terms of meeting future goals and if they keep to their expected road map then I only see that to continue... maybe exponentially so.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

From my understanding it's because HBM is in short supply, very short supply.
    I seem to remember reading that HBM wasn't planned for release until 2016.

11. SchizoFrog

So you believe all their eggs are with HBM? That is a sad state to be in if that is true.