1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD to be tech's 3rd big comeback

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 5 Apr 2013.

1. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Why the negativity? I hope they make it, its better for everyone the more players we have in this space, the more competitive it is the better the toys we get to have are.

2. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Finally got rid of the last single core PC in the family and at a low budget, see my Sig, £47 for a Triple Core Athlon met the budget and let me put 8Gigs of RAM into the final build. Have bought AMD since the days of the K6-2, sticking with AMD until the bitter end, and if I can't put socket FM1 chips into Socket FM2 boards, then the mobo also cost less than 40 quid and doesn't feel like wasted cash.

Whilst they left the Phenom II X4 965 out there for 70 quid They're certainly guilty of not pimping the value side of their CPUs and they must realise their mistake as the CPU brand has returned to the retail box packaging to explain exactly what you bought.

3. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Can we ask him to resign if we get to call BS in a years time? He's obviously jumped ship and instantly caught the AMD PR departments BS'itus.

Same ol' AMD, we don't want drum banging statements, we want a competitive market with actual competitive companies and products. Sadly, AMD has given us nothing competitive for nearly 10 years now. Why all of a sudden would it become the richest and most successful companies in the history of this industry?

4. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

erm did FM2 completely miss you or something?

5. littlepuppi

littlepuppi Currently playing MWO and loving it

Its not all about raw money terms. If amd gets its hw into all the consoles it will be a huge advantage going forward as more games are optimised for amd gcn....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. rollo

rollo Modder

AMD need cash to survive thats the end of the discussion as far as thats concerned.

if they lose the same as they did this year AMD Are bankrupt thats a fact not made up. They would already be bankrupt if it was not for the $1bil that Intel give them.

If there Q1 Financials dont read a profit then they are ripe for a buyout from most likely Samsung / Apple who will use there graphics patents. The company is worth peanuts in todays market considering its debt levels and cash in hand its probably bearly worth what it has in cash ( around $1bil)

They have already been selling assets to try and get there figures into the black for q1 that worrys me even more than them just admiting they lost money. Big companies are looking at the ATI side of the business ( as it was once called) and wondering how much it would take to buy it off AMDs hands. If they lose cash in q1 the answer could be very little.

They are running out of stuff to sell and need a major win in the Server market and its needs to be this year.

Optimised games are great going forward but we are talking early 2014 for a uk ps4 launch ( November 2013 for USA and jap ) add on a year before they really know the platform and we could be talking early 2015 before we see multi threaded games that benifit AMDs core hardware.

AMD just wont last that long without making some money or selling something.

AMD and Intels core business has shrank by around 200mil unit sales in the last 2 years ( desktop computer sales) Intel moved onto servers to counter the downterm, AMD tried GPUs with buying ATI. The GPU side of AMDs business is around 2bil below break even if you count what they paid.

I want them to survive but i dont think they will, Nothing they have shown to me says we are going to be here in 2 years time.

The WII U has hardly been a sales success its just as concievable that the ps4 and new xbox could disapoint sales wise.

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

nah the PS4 and Xbox next are very anticipated - the `pre launch` chat for the WiiU was it was under powered - with publishers leaving the platform (EA as an example) then Nintendo either have to make an amazing sales pitch , or its left with what I can knock out itself.

IMO the PS4 will be the big win (spec wise) and AMD learnt from NVidia and are licensing and not selling the parts.

Q4 they actually performed better than expected , 14 cents per share loss , vs 20 as predicted. this quarter is expected to be a loss , but back to the level last year @ 4 cents a share (predictions are 8 to 12)

with profitability in Q3.

lots of talk about AMD needing an ARM product by H2 - and getting out of high end desktop , but server side is being to make sense as software comes online to support the pipeline

Last edited: 7 Apr 2013
  8. littlepuppi

littlepuppi Currently playing MWO and loving it

They will survive in some form or another, the x86 license is worth many billions... All it takes is for them to go into chapter 11, and be "rescued" and they will likely be a debt free entity. AMD are going nowhere..

The console presence will give them scale which WILL help them lower their costs even if they dont "make" tons of $$$ from it... One swallow doesn't make a summer and all that, but I for one will be shocked if AMD are not around in the months and years to come.

9. Xir

Xir Modder

Well, looking at their stock...I don't agree.

10. Snips

Haven't they had console presence already? What's that done for them? oh yeah, record losses year after year.

11. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

so you would prefer just 1 company in desktop charging what they like? intel mid range will be over £200 for the cpu alone with haswell.

12. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Can you imagine no AMD. The prices of nvidia and Intel will shoot sky high as if nvidia don't try that already but with no competition is going to be crazy
    I for one rated there 7970 cards and still have one. Ati gpu's reputation got ruined with the 2000 and 3000 series unfortunately

13. DbD

DbD Minimodder

rollo is nvidia's biggest fanboy so he will be negative...

That said AMD is hardly looking great right now - other then the console wins they don't have much to shout about, and their debt levels and the terrible deal they have with GF limit what they can do about it. Unlike Apple they don't have a Steve Jobs - it's more likely they'll turn into the next VIA then the next Apple.

14. Snips

so you would prefer AMD in it's current guise?

15. rollo

rollo Modder

Couldnt care for AMD in its current Guise that is correct, But im not an nvidia fanboy lol own several AMD cards and would easily recommend some of there cards to people who are in the budget ranges they fall into.

I just bother to read the financial pages of said companies and relise how badly AMD is off right now compared to most who just assume they are struggling without really looking at how badly they are struggling.

The sad fact is AMD would not exist already if Intel did not give them 1 billion dollars last year.

If AMD go bankrupt someone will buy them out and use there x86 licence so there wont be online one chip supplier. GPU wise is a different story id imagine Samsung or Apple looking at the patents they own and considering it but the problem is niether is likely to want to take on there GPU devision for there own usage.

AMD been fabless is also a major drawback for potential buyers who have to rely on others to make there chips tsmc been the big player in this area.

16. Xir

Xir Modder

If somebody wanted to buy them out, it could have happened a long time ago.
    The Stock's been dragging along for years, the financial review of the last decade makes you wonder why they still exist at all.
    Still, I'm happy they're there, if only to keep pricing down.
    Also, Pentium 4 and Itanium showed us that Intel will not correct mistakes of it's own.

17. Snips

How long ago was that again?

18. Xir

Xir Modder

Ages, that's why I'm afraid intel might turn lazy and arrogant again.

19. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

If AMD released a processor that was within a few percent of Intel's gaming performance and efficiency at the same price point, I'd jump back across to the Red team for the first time since I bought a 2400+ just to show my support for the underdog.

20. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

Tags: Add Tags