1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD to raise prices on CPUs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 13 Jul 2004.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Also from the Inq in another full-tastic article post:

AMD IS GOING TO RAISE PRICES in a little over a week. Before you wonder if the sky is falling or not, it isn't, trust me. On July 26th, prices on 2800+ and up Athlon XPs will go up. In a not quite as cunning as they might think plan, it won't really affect you much.

The point is that all of these chips will now be called Sempr0ns, even though they are pretty much the exact same thing as before. If you want an XP, you pay more, Sempr0n, you pay less. I guess they must have gotten a sweet deal on the ink they print on the chips with, that would explain it, or not.

Ok, you've read the full text, but give them a visit anyway.

2. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

They just want to get the Sempron brand awareness up.

Is there any differences in the core ? Like cache size or speed or anything else ? Or are they both exactly identical ?

3. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20040610024204.html

I am not sure exactly, nor can I give an offical saying, but I think that some of the semprons have Athlon64 cores(With 64-bit disabled)
    While other speeds will have AthlonXP Cores.

My guess is it is the same thing as selling Durons, which are XP's with half the cache failing at testing. So you disable that cache and sell it for less.

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Kinda like Thortons ZW? Well if you're right, and with a bit of luck, it may mean better overclocking for us. Of course durons and XP at least use the same pin interface... plunking a core from an A64 on a 462 chip would take a little extra solder.

5. PsychoI3oy

PsychoI3oy Minimodder

uh, that'd be interesting to see AMD enable 64 bit registers on a Celeron...

6. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

rtfa :p

Tags: Add Tags