1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD unveils Ryzen processors, boasts of Intel-beating performance

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 14 Dec 2016.

1. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Trust AMD to keep me hanging in limbo!

They are making me want to build a new rig just so I can have Ryzen though. Just need an excuse as what to use it for. (I am interested in a deep learning rig, but then that was the excuse for the 1080!)

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

So apparently i will hate to wait, because motherboards won't arrive in Slovakia on time, or at all. Local reviewer in Czech & Slovakia the CPU supply is three times the motherboard supply; my supplier just told me that a local distributor didn't get their shipment of ASUS AM4 boards at all.

Just awesome :wallbash:. There go my plans for the weekend.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Looks like the results are in: XFR is present on all chips, but better on the X-suffix models. That's not what I said, so a loser is me. Bah!

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

ECC support (yay!) is amazing. I'll certainly be picking up at least one of these chips as a result - provided a good mobo or two supports ECC anyway.

While it might not be best for gaming, it's still no slouch, so great for an all-round system with bias toward compute.

5. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

What saddens me a bit is that it looks like IOMMU (AMD-Vi) support for start is a bit shaky. IOMMU isolations seems to be only down to 2 groups - the two PCI-E slots from the CPU are one group, and EVERYTHING else (SATA, ethernet, PCI-E x1/x4 slots, M.2) are second group. Which is a bummer. Let's hope it will get better.