1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD VS. Intel

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by m0nk3y, 20 Nov 2002.

1. SittingBull

SittingBull What's a Dremel?

What sort of clock speeds will the new Athlons be?

Also I am a bit of a n00b.... what is Intel working on behind the scenes. Maybe they have a 64Bit CPU in testing or something

2. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

SittingBull, when I brought up what Intel and AMD will be doing over the next 6 months or so, I was concentrating on the desktop/enthusiast market. As far as I know, Intel have a 64bit processor(ITANIUM) in the working (may be near completion).

However, from what I have heard, this will be aimed at the server high end workstation market, and is likely to be priced accordingly. Kind of a replacement for the XEON, which is already astronomically expensive.

Also (someone back me up here), I believe the Itanium is not backward compatible with 32 bit programs, which in my eye is one of, if not THE, biggest selling point of the K8. This means you will still be able to run al the programs you are running now and simply upgrade or patch them up to 64bit versions as and when they become available.

Zap, thanks for the info, I'm starting to get very excited by the K8 now. (Who decided on the "Athlon 64" name? Clawhammer had such a presence!!) I know it's a while off, but I'd always envisaged a high performance desktop board with a high bandwidth PCI bus to take advantage of an IDE array. Serial ATA should have fully come to market by then aswell :D

I'm not surprised that you can't tell me about the speed of the "clawhammer". I was working at the SHARP Laboratories of Europe over the summer. You may have read on the net about their computers on glass (SYSTEM ON PANEL). I was working in their research group, and the corporate secrecy contracts I had to sign before they'd let me in were rediculous.

Guess it's necessary though.

8-ball

3. Dash

Dash What's a Dremel?

sorry to go OT here on the debate but I was hoping someone could answer this really quick.

How far is the socket A going (ie like 2800+ then thats it)
    and same for 478 for intel(ie 3.06 )
    cause things change so much I am lost now :wallbash:
    Thanks for your time

-Dash

4. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Because the technology changes often, the number of pins changes on each chip. So each new chip requires new sockets.
    Socket A will last as long as the Athlon XP
    The 478 will last as long as the P4

Even the Sledgehammer and Clawhammer take different sockets, as they have a different number of pins on the chip.

It is nearly impossible to create a standard socket.

5. 8-BALL

From what I've read, it appears that socket 478 is going to be around for a while. probably into early 2004 (but don't quote me on this)

As for AMD, you'll have to ask ZAPWizard, though I think the new barton cores are gonna run the socketA platform, so again, probably till the late end of next year.

Hope this helps

8-ball

6. 8-BALL

Zap,

Is the barton core considered to be part of the XP family?

7. relix

relix Minimodder

8-Ball: Intel released the itanium, 2 years or so ago. It already evolved into the Titanium 2, but I don't know if the 2 is released yet or not...:D

Bah, I just wished someone could give me some release dates + prices for the clawhammer! In a month or so I'm gonna have enough money to build one hell of a system (it was necessary, 5 years on the same pC...:wallbash: ), and I need to know if it's best to wait for the clawhammer or buy the XP2800+ or the one that is out at that moment. I think I'm willing to wait a couple of months, I can keep myself busy with modding the case, but more than that I don't think I'll be able to control myself...:worried:

8. ZapWizard

Yes, the Barton Core is a 333Mhz 512KB version of and Athlon XP.

As for the Clawhammer release, I am as clueless as you are.
    The Sledgehammer will be released shortly before, or at the same time as the Clawhammer.

I was told that once I get back from vacation that the fate of the release date will rely on two things, Validation of the Hypertransport links, and Vaidation of DDR (My Job).

9. [GiB]Grey M@a

[GiB]Grey M@a What's a Dremel?

i will go for intel :) i had a 550 p3 then a 1 gig amd then a 1800xp amd and now a 2.53b p4 i will definately go with the intel chips.

only went back to intel as the prices have dropped :) if they were still at stupid prices i would not of got one.

10. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

If you consider the top speed chips, then Intel are still more expensive.

11. Jaz

Jaz Banned

yey clawhammer will have 512kb to 1mb cache

12. sinizterguy

Is there gonna be 2 different versions or just one, whose cache size hasnt been set yet ?

13. Jaz

Jaz Banned

theres 2 claws one with 512 and one with 1mb apprently

sledge will have 1mb plus

14. ZapWizard

You are correct.

The Clawhammer will be a mixed bag, it will be insainly fast, but you will pay for what speed you want.
    So to make it priced to replace Athlons they will have to keep it the prices low.

High speed cache is pretty expensive, and takes lots of chip space, so less cache is equal to less money.

The Sledgehammers will of course run as fast as possible, at a premium.

15. relix

relix Minimodder

as you said cache takes up a lot of space, will that mean the two clawhammers will need differint sockets? or is that just me not comprehending? :p

16. ZapWizard

All Clawhammers will use the same socket, different cache won't matter.

Since they also have a heatplate, all you overclockers/water cooling fans will love not worring about crushing your chip.

17. relix

relix Minimodder

hehe, nice, you're like a box of chocolate filled with liquir, zappy :p. everyday a new surprise! :D

18. sinizterguy

Just heard that DivX is gonna be optimised for the hammers .... puts me firmly back in the AMD camp for now....

19. 8-BALL

Maybe just a crazy idea, but a lort of people are asking about the upcoming hammer and HT processors.

How about starting a thread where people can post any bit's of software that they find anywhere on the net which will be optimised for SMP or 64 bit.

This way everyone can decide which would be most beneficial for their needs.

End of Brainfart

20. sinizterguy

Your brainfart has potential ...

I second that ...