1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics AMD zerocore not working on my 7850

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Farting Bob, 23 Mar 2012.

1. Farting Bob

Farting Bob New Member

So today arrived my shiny powercolor AMD 7850. My old 4850 was struggling to play anything current on my 1200p screen due to only having 512Mb VRAM, and the girl had seen better days. She had done me proud since i bought her on launch day, and enjoyed running passively with my Accelero S1 heatsink on her but she's been let free to roam the fields with all the other GPU's of old.

So everything went fine with the installation of the 7850, installed the latest drivers and its a beast in games compared to what i had before. But one feature doesnt appear to be working and that is the zerocore technology that is supposed to power down the GPU to almost nothing when the display is off. Supposedly it saves around 8-12w. Since i often leave my PC running to download or encode a blu-ray overnight i thought this was a nice touch.

At idle desktop my system is showing as using between 66-70w according to my power meter at the wall, which is already a nice drop from the 80-85w i was using before. But when i turn the screen off it doesnt drop at all. After 15 minutes of idling with the screen off my power meter was still showing 66-70w. Shouldnt it have dropped to at least a few watts?

As i said i have the latest drivers (12.3) and a fully updated Win7 x64. Rest of the hardware includes 2500k, ASUS m-ATX board, 8GB RAM and 1 HDD. My display is connected via DVI.

Couldnt find anything in CCC to turn on or off zerocore, from what i read it was an entirely passive feature and should work with any monitor, so not sure why mine isnt working. How long does it take the screen to be off for zerocore to kick in?

2. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Well-Known Member

Are you using HDMI or a DVI/HDMI adapter?

3. Farting Bob

Farting Bob New Member

Straight up DVI, although my monitor supports HDMI but i dont have a cable because DVI works fine. Does that make a difference?

4. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Well-Known Member

Ahh.

I only asked because I knew some other forumites reported it didn't work over HDMI properly.

I'll see if I can find the original thread - There may have been a solution in it towards the end...

EDIT: Found it, you posted in it! - no conclusion was reached though, other than what I said above about HDMI... Linky

Last edited: 23 Mar 2012
  5. Farting Bob

Farting Bob New Member

Yea i do remember someone else having problems, didnt realise i posted in there as well lol. Anybody with a 7xxx card have any anecdotal evidence for how long before it seems to kick in? I went out for 2 hours with the PC on and monitor off and the power consumption still was unchanged and the fan was still spinning.

6. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Do you have Windows Power Options set to turn the monitor off after a period of time? If not, you may need to try that.

7. Farting Bob

Farting Bob New Member

Its set to 20 minutes which might explain my issue at first but not the 2 hour break i left it running. I'll change it to 1 minute and test it in a bit.

8. Farting Bob

Farting Bob New Member

Just tried, power consumption did drop off after setting it to 1 minute and waiting for windows to turn the monitor off, no idea why it didnt work after 2 hours beforehand. But yea, it seems to be ok now.