1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD's Radeon HD 6990 is in our lab

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 28 Feb 2011.

1. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

I think even on bit tech it is rare to see people with multi monitor setups. And it's a PC enthusiast site. Multi-monitor gaming is a gimmick. Hell... compared to multi-monitor gaming setups 3D gaming looks like a common, casual user technology. Outside of professional use the adoption of Eyefinity is probably within the range of statistical error.

Man I just want the PS4/Xbox whatever out ASAP with something at least as fast as a 580 inside. If most games are made with a 7900 equivalent in mind no wonder the only way to push high end hardware is to force higher res or just throw AA at it until anything chokes. Soon we will probably see 64 or 128AA enabled just so people can say that they need a 500£ card to run the game at max details. Forgetting the fact that it is still the same old console optimised engine and the game looks exactly the same at 16AA or 64. Anyway, rant mode off.

2. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Interesting, in those charts AMD have Crysis running at 35fps @ 7680x1600, I wonder what fps I will get from my 2560x1600 monitor ...

Love the way AMD says Load Board Power is <375W ... like it isn't really a hotty, probably runs at 374 then :)

3. Xir

Xir Modder

+1
    Dual GPU, Smual GPU, get out a fast single core. :D

I also don't get the "Eyefinity" hype.
    I'd understand it if rimless monitors were common. But they're not even available.
    And then I'd understand a 3x2 solution, not a 5x1.
    Common monitors standing on end tend to have really bad viewing angles :eyebrow:

4. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

Dear Bit-tech,

I have just moved into a lovely new apartment, sea views, plentiful shoals of salmon. I therefore ask that you desist from testing this monstrosity, as I don't want my home floating out to sea. This happened to my cousin Herbert, who ended up in Newcastle, oh the humanity.

Yours sincerely

A Polar Bear

Last edited: 1 Mar 2011
  5. Niftyrat

Niftyrat Dremel overpriced like EA games

Sorry really don't care about multiple monitor setups that just give a bigger image I like most geeks (I imagine) sit about 2 feet from my 24" screen any charger and man would I have a headache!

I want a card that can play arma 2 on full settings at 1920 x 1080 at 60fps please.

6. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

8 pin x 2 (powertuned down to keep tdp under 300w)

8th March release.

7. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

Nah... is not that big.

With 24" long case there is plenty of space for even longer card. :D

Drolling heavily about 6990 or GTX590. Couldn't care less about Eye-whatever. Best deal (for me) is that there is no need to waste 2 slots for a SLI/CF. Bring them on. Need to spend some money....

8. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

A mandingo of a card..:hehe:

9. Goty

Goty Minimodder

*EDIT* I'm a moron.

10. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

If that 6990 on the X58A OC is true size, then i could quite easily fit the 6990 in my CM Stacker 832SE with about an inch distance from the drive bays so i dont think your xaser will have any problems :thumb:

11. jon

jon Chief Phrenologist

12. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Who knows. Maybe they have a different NDA than Anand? Or perhaps the Engadget was written up before Anand's by a bit, both were published today.

14. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

We weren't forwarded the PCB image by AMD, only the external shots. Either Anandtech was given something we weren't, has published an image they've dug up from somewhere which may or may not be the final PCB, or they're breaking the NDA.

15. Zeus-Nolan

Zeus-Nolan Minimodder

2x 8 pin :O, but i would rather have that than 2 69** series GPUs in my pc tbh

Last edited: 1 Mar 2011
  16. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

True, if the scaling of the 6xxx series is continued into the 6990 and it offers most of the perfomance of 2 x 6970's whilst taking up one pcie slot, then it might be an attractive option. Price is the main factor though, as well as fan noise and thermals.

17. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

a lot of games do have peripheral vision which can only be seen in multi monitor set ups like flight simulators, racers, and FPS. RTS also take advantage of multiple monitors by showing more map. There is a way to mod the output to which and what monitors through 3rd party software the GPU configuration or the games console.

I play STALKER or ARMA II on one monitor, my inventory is always open on another monitor, while a third monitor has video skype going and the internet or whatever.

18. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

19. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

BT I hope you'll be showing results for 2560x1600 versus an eye-finity setup, I want to know what the extra hit is for running the extreme res on 3 monitors.

lol good on them for attempting a preview. It looked like they were desperate to reveal results, and very happy by the look of it. :thumb:

20. russells

russells What's a Dremel?

Not quite sure what games you have been playing? I have owned 9800GX2 since a week or so of it being released and play games within the first month or so of them being released. I never have had these issues that you guys find so hard and terrible. Other websites seems to find good gains from multi GPU card.

http://img.hexus.net/v2/graphics_cards/amd/Raba/HD9157/graph-12.jpg

Not sure what you're doing, or not doing really.

Tags: Add Tags