1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American Universities

Discussion in 'General' started by akanekal, 25 Jun 2007.

1. akanekal

akanekal What's a Dremel?

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone can help me out with this:

I'm in year 10 at the moment and I hope to get into an American University when I get to that stage. I'm confused as to whether A-Level actually count towards anything because I know that SAT tests need to be taken for entry. For example, if I wanted to go to MIT, what would I need to do at this stage and after year 11 (in 6th Form)?

Any help would be appreciated,
    Thanks

Amit :)

2. Spacecowboy92

Spacecowboy92 Gettin' Lazy

Your in Gillingham, is there a reason you want to go to the US?

3. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

I'm not sure about american universities but either way its a long time until you go to uni! ... 3 years if you have just finished year 10..

SATs don't really count towards anything, GCSE's count towards getting you into college and then have a little impact in helping you get into university, but the main results that are needed are A levels (you get these after 2 years in college)... they are the most important factor when applying.
    Btw why would you want to go to an American Uni? The reason people normally go is due to basketball or some sports reasons. But to be honest you can't drink until your 21 in America so in my opinion you should just stick to the english uni's!

Ed

4. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Our unis generally accept other equivalent qualifications, so I assume theirs do too.

Any good reason for wanting to go to America?

5. akanekal

Well, I want to live my adult life in America. I always have. It's not that I have anything against UK :p but it's something I've always wanted to do.

I think that attending an American university would be make living in America in the future easier because obviously I'd already be there and settled somewhat.

6. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Boswell: He's talking about the US S.A.T.s, they count for a lot more.

If you can study for the International Bac. you'll have a good chance, but to be honest, contact the uni you want to go to and ask them. Just remember it's not like the UK, you have to fund yourself or get a scholarship from the uni.

7. akanekal

When i said SATs, i mean the American university entry SATs not the shitty year 9 SATs ;). I've had a look at the collegeboard website and some American universities don't take A-Level results into account at all, whereas others only use them to award extra credit for certain courses and not as a factor for admission.

Amit

8. Hells_Bliss

Hells_Bliss What's a Dremel?

gotta get a student visa, then a greencard to stay in America. Shouldn't be too bad at the moment considering the US and UK are allies. You'd definately want to apply well in advance as America has a huge beurocracy, so things take time :p Of course, the college should help.

Find a college you'd want to go to, most of them have international student offices that can answer your questions. Here's MIT's international student info http://web.mit.edu/iso/

Best way to find the information you need is to to contact the univeristy directly.

9. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

My understanding is that international students pay much higher tuitions than their domestic counterparts (170% more for my university). Are you really prepared to go overseas for an education?

10. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Umm, were I you what I'd do would be go to a British uni and do a course that had a year in the US. The British university system is crazily cheap compared with the US one, and you're likely to come out far less in debt than if you go to a high class private US university - and let's face it the UK isn't lacking good uni's, Oxford and Cambridge are internationally recognised as being of the highest class, and many other UK ones are recognised as being great universities.

Given the cost, I'd seriously reconsider (unless cost is not an issue, that is).

11. Hells_Bliss

shoot, in the states it's even worse. You get charged a helluva lot extra for just being an out of state student, let alone an international student :p

/edit
    69 dude! :hip:

12. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Get in touch with the admissions people at MIT and ask them for advice. I'm sure they've worked with foreign students before, they'll know a lot more than the run-of-the-mill Bit-techers.

(edit) And they tend to be nice people, too. (/edit)

13. alpha112

alpha112 Modder

The average debt after uni for a UK student in the US I seem to recall is in the region of £100,000.

There are plenty of exchange systems at uk unis, my course at UCL offers one year abroad at an American uni and you pay the same as if you were doing it here (£3000, or less).

Also MIT is nearly impossible to get into. You have to be a genius, like top percentile or more (likely more).

Sorry to be crushing your dream, but dont let it stop you trying if you think you can manage it.

14. lex90

lex90 Minimodder

It will cost you a fortune. Don't be surprised to be paying over 30k a year..

this is from the MIT site..
    And i dont know if that is for international or local students. I would seriously advise to go WELL in school and try to get a scholarship of some sort..

15. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Reading spec's comment I'd agree with him actually. Considering you want to go to MIT I'm assuming you want to study the sciences or some engineering. Tons of Uni's here do years in industries in which you can go to the US.

16. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Isnt the English Education worth/held higher than the US stuffs?
    Why go to an American Uni when the British Equalivents are better, unless its a specialized subject.

17. Hells_Bliss

thats debatable, English (hell, pretty much any nation's) High school is way better than Americas, College education is where America starts to teach at a high level.

18. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I'd say UK and US uni's are pretty evenly matched. MIT, Harvard, Yale, etc. is just as highly regarded as Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial College, UCL, etc.

19. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Apparently 65% of young adults in the US dont know where the U.K. is on the map of the world. Need i say more.

Sure they have some awesome Uni's but i ain't paying outta my nose for them when Oxford or Cambridge is far far far cheaper.

20. Hells_Bliss

never said Americans were good at Geography :p

[​IMG]