1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Amplifier for gaming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gaz_360, 6 Dec 2010.

1. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

Hi

Im a bit new to the whole sound game, ive always concentrated on trying to get the best display for gaming, but have now decided to turn my attention to some better sound quality.

I currently have a 5.1 surround sound set-up, but I don't think im using it to its full advantage. There is a sub-woofer unit where the other 5 speakers then connect into, then from the sub-woofer ive run the tow red and white cables into my head phone jack on my monitor (not the best way I know). So now I'd really like to get 'true' surround sound, as this is only 2.1 technically I think, as im not using a SPDIF cable.

There is not other connection for SPDIF on the sub-woofer, so im guessing I need to hook it up to an amplifier. However I can't find one that has all of the speaker connections, as well as using SPDIF. Mainly I will be using it for xbox gaming, as the slim now has built in SPDIF.

So if someone could please make this a bit clearer to me I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks

Gaz

2. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

id presume that the sub ocntaines the amps for the surround speakers

3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Take a look at the Astro Mixamp

4. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

Yes, well sort of. The sub has the 5 connections (black and red tabs) where the speaker wires go into. I would try and link to the model of the set up, but I can't seem to find any info on it anywhere on the web, almost as if its non existent.

5. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

That thing looks pretty cool. Ive watched a few videos on how its set up, and looks to be the sort of thing im after, however with it using a USB cable to transmit the sound from the xbox to the amp, I imagine the sound quality will be worse in comparison to SPDIF?

6. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

Can you post a picture of the outputs on your PC and the inputs on the sub?

7. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

Yeah, just give me a few minutes. I don't actually want to connect it to my PC, just my 360.

Last edited: 6 Dec 2010
  8. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

[​IMG]

The red and black cables that are currently connected go to the headphone jack on my monitor.

Sorry for the poor picture quality :D

9. saspro

saspro IT monkey

You need to use the other 6 sockets on the sub.

They will link the the 5.1 outputs on your soundcard.

Plug the xbox in to the optical in of your soundcard and you're laughing.
    Failing that you need to chuck the lot in the bin & get either a 5.1 speaker set with optical in or an AVR amp with a new set of speakers

10. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

Do I need the plug those other 6 connections into an amplifier then from the amplifier to the xbox via the SPDIF cable?

11. saspro

saspro IT monkey

No you'll blow it to pieces if you do that.

If you want to keep your existing speakers then you'll need a pre-amp/decoder (probably cheaper to get an avr & new speakers really)

12. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

Right, glad I didn't do that then lol.

Can you post some links to the sort of thing I need to point me in the right direction please?

13. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

Just had a thought. It I were to get an amp, and just put the speakers straight out of that, then connect it to the xbox, missing out the current sub I have.

14. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Something like an Onkyo 508 or similar would do that. You could use the sub out on the amp to the sub in on the 6 channel inputs so you still had bass.

What speakers are they?

What screen do you have?

What other inputs do you need?

15. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

16. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

Right, sounds like a plan (Y)

They are just the speakers that came with the sound system from BUSH. They just have the standard red and black split wires coming from the back. There is also a sticker on the back that says '4 ohms' if that's any help.

I've got a Viewsonic vx2260wm for the monitor im wanting to use this set-up for. It has a HDMI, DVI, VGA and headphones in and out. No SPDIF built in unfortunately.

In terms of what connections I need im a little unsure. As far as im aware from what ive been told, a digital SPDIF connection is the way to go, and as the xbox has one of those built in, I'd try and use it.

17. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

That is actually what im currently using, but in comparison to sound quality, its very poor coming through the 3.5mm headphone jack on my monitor.

18. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

Just another quick question. The connections on the speakers I currently have just clip into the connections on the back of the sub/amp unit, bit will those same speakers connect to this sort of connection

19. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Yes you unscrew the terminal & slide the cables in to the hole then tighted the terminal back up

20. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

Thank you for confirming that, I thought I maybe needed to get some different cables.

I plan to get an amplifier with the SPDIF digital out put, connect it to my xbox via that connection, then using the speakers from my current set up, connect them to the amplifier.

Is it possible for me to do that?