1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retro [Amstrad CPC 6128] I'm trying to think what the titles of the games I had... help

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by RickDawson, 4 Jul 2010.

1. RickDawson

RickDawson Member

I'm just bored on holiday from work.

I thought of looking and seeing what (if any) modern remakes of the games I used to play on my Amstrad CPC 6128

Chuckie Egg

Killer Gorilla (similar to donkey kong)

Darts

Screwball

Gauntlet

Diamond Mine

Dizzy (borrowed from school mate)

Space Invaders - not the common version everyone knows, but with aliens going right to left, with your ship on the left firing beams (lines not dots). I also took the coding, and turned the game round 90 degrees, with your ship at the bottom of the screen.

impossball - none of us could get past the first level!

Monopoly

Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge - Completed it early one Sunday morning and I got a certificate from the developers to say I'd completed it and got a licence)

Lemmings - disc had a sort of virus, just didn't have the 3rd set of levels. (probably a cover-up to day no space for those levels)
    ----------

ones I don't know the title:

car racing game - the track was a plan of it, and the view panned to follow the car. The car would rotate round, but the track didn't (think it was made by MicroProse)

space platformer - frog in space suit. the movement sound was as tt-tt-tt.
    I could never remember the title then, so I'm really stuck.

----------
    I also remember typing in the full code from some games like asteroids from a code listings book.

I'll add others as I think of them.

2. WarMadMax

WarMadMax New Member

Brings me back some memories, can't remember if i had the same one as you've listed, think i had a CPC 6064 and upgraded it to a 6128 by sending off for a new chip.

looked just like a big eprom / long bios chip and slotted in.

can't help you with naming those games,
    Can't even remember the names of most of the games i played on it now either come to think of it, best i can recall is these :

Beachhead - started you off on a carrier's AA guns, then had to navigate landing craft inland, then storm your little guy up the beach.

<unknown> - started you off with 3 jets in a space station, first job to get as many jets out the hanger door in zero G / low G, then pilot through a sideways scrolling bit, finally landing in moscow i think to try and attack some buildings on foot.

Ghostbusters - went round the town in ecto 1 (or whichever car you brought) and had to keep the city clear, there is a emulation out there for the pc thats not too bad.

Best bit was getting the thrill of noise and screen bars from the tape loader :D

3. davidm

davidm Member

Raid Over Moscow - US Gold.

4. deathbringer67

deathbringer67 New Member

raid over moscow was awsome, it was a C64 game though. beachhead another classic, was zaxxon a amdCPC, it was on vic 20 im sure.

Loved c64, didnt Amstrad have a green screen monitor , that put me off getting one, then the vic 20 came out then c64 which i brought, bloody tape deck was a pita tho.

Think C64 and spectrum killed the amstrad off, having said that it was one of the first home PCs, that and the bbc mirco if thats what it was called.

5. davidm

davidm Member

Beachead and Raid Over Moscow was on C64, Spectrum and Amstrad. Pretty sure the Vic20 couldn't handle ROM as the standard system was only about 3.5K at the time.

Saying which - the Vic20 managed to squeeze a cut down Manic Miner into about 8K I think (And I'm not saying the name as it's too innuendo ridden! :))

6. Coltch

Coltch Member

Raid Over Moscow was ported to most of the 8-bit machines as I had it on both the Spectrum and C64.

Some of the retro remakes over on Retrospec are quite good.

I never bothered with the Amstrad as I had both a Spectrum and a C64 (well sister got the spectrum when I got my C64!) then moved on to the Amiga.

Still mess around with some of the old C64/Spectrum games via emulators - graphics look horrible now but the gameplay is still good.

7. WarMadMax

WarMadMax New Member

Mine had a colour screen! :D

it had two umbilical cords coming from the monitor, presumably power and video for the "keyboard".

my dad got it me second hand when i first started school, vaugely remember a light pen for drawing on screen and a really auwfull light gun for it.

it had the tape deck built into the "keyboard" (which was 2 inch thick, lol not exactly spectrum elegent), and for some reason a maxwell disc drive.

I do remember destroying the first cheap joystick with track and field not long after we got it...

8. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

the finest computer ever made... strange timing for this post as I actually have one arriving this weekend.

9. WarMadMax

WarMadMax New Member

Just realised i've made a boo boo, we had the 464 second hand and upgraded it with a 128K chip... i think that turned it into a "6128"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amstrad_CPC

so that explains why i had a disc drive as well... the later amstrads came with a drive built in, i had a tape deck still...

and handily a list of games

Bolder Dash is in there, remember that one by name now!
    and one of my favorates Tornado Low Level - TLL

Last edited: 7 Jul 2010
  10. RickDawson

RickDawson Member

I remember playing "Loco" on the C64 at my cousins home. it featured the music "Equinoxe 5" by Jean Michel Jarre (who is my fave artist. I've seen him live twice and again later this year :) )

11. gymman39

gymman39 New Member

some great games there folks...my dad lord rest him got me a vic -20 and i used to play the scott adams adventure games and omega race on it

12. spaceman1

spaceman1 New Member

Oh mummy good game and sultans maze (didn't get anywhere) harrier attack and never ending story aliens.