1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding An Apple take over.....

Discussion in 'Modding' started by apoogod, 5 Jan 2003.

1. apoogod

apoogod trix arent just for kids

I got this off of hardforums and it doesnt look pretty....

I had to put a space right after the "http" so close the space to get a working link

2. criminally insane

criminally insane What's a Dremel?

apoogod, seeming as im slack can you just sum this up for me? i was reading it and its going on about lighting and the such, are teh trying to stop people selling cases which are lit up? or are they trying to stop lights being sold?

3. Boggy

Boggy What's a Dremel?

this seems like the end to pre modded cases to me.
    all good
    my legal slang isnt good so i dont know if this means that me cant mod either!:waah: :waah: :waah:

4. apoogod

apple is trying to patent case mods...thats the jist of it

5. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

So they're saying that they invented the case light?? :hehe:

Hey linear, I'm afraid you'll have to either destroy your case, or give it to apple, as they hold the patent on cases where light is utilized to enhance the ornamental appearance :p :lol: :p

Simply amazing.

Edit: Would it only be the end for pre-modded cases, or would it be similar to copywrite laws? I don't know how entirely how patents effect joe public...

6. apoogod

well I have already contacted a lawyer and should know more monday...hopfully.....a class action law suit was brought up for a min.

7. criminally insane

sounds like apple wants to woo ppl to use there computers using pretty lights :/

Apple is gh3y but i dont see how this can stop people selling lights, window kits, rounded cables and the such

If it stops premodded cases then ill be kinda happy coz little 1337 kiddies wont be able to go around thinking they are super modders coz they brought a pre-modded case

8. apoogod

apple makes me hate them even more now...stupid little apple with a bite in it..

9. criminally insane

i too hate them :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr:

10. Pömö

Pömö What's a Dremel?

I was about to go get a mac to play with.. but now I can :rock: with my PC. :naughty: :naughty: Oh Well **** you Apple

11. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

lmfao. Yea, let's all bash apple :rolleyes:

12. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

That is interesting. This is the final section which would pretty much prohibit any new case mods.

As always, individuals are allowed to do this, but if this is given to Apple, you won't be able to sell things like that, including cases you modified.

All companies selling pre-illuminated case or pre-windowed cases would have to stop. They would have to sell regular cases, and neons/cold cathode tubes seperately.

I wonder how they deal with certain LED's in the case. For instance, my motherboard has two LED's on it next to the AGP and RAM slots to tell you if there is a problem. I actually use them for lighting that part because I can't light it with a neon/CCFL. Hmmm...

AstrumPreliator
    ":grr: "

13. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

Umm, what about the power LED and bit of plastic used to direct the light to the case bezel?

Edit: And does this give apple the right to sue the manufacturers of pre-modded cases for compensation?

And what are the odds of apple calling the manufacturers and telling them to stop making pre-modded cases?

Last edited: 5 Jan 2003
  14. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

how can they ****ing be SERIOUS?! i know they've always been proud of their pretty cases, but are they seriously gonna try and make commercial case modding an exclusive to them. what are their ****ty computers not selling enough so they need another way to bring in the money, boo ****ing hoo. maybe if you computers were a lil faster and compatible with 90 percent of the software out, then you'd have a little more of the market. I wouldnt mind an apple if it could actually run the software i want. jesus this corporate **** makes me sick.

15. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

ummm, but it was filed a year ago...

16. wedgius

wedgius What's a Dremel?

Judging from their furious defense of people making various skins and themes based on the Aqua UI, I'd expect them to do the same with lighting.

On the other hand, those were things that could be "distributed" (downloaded); the average person doesn't really distribute his/her modded case, unless Apple considers the five senses and memory a legally binding purchase/material acquisition.

This smells almost as bad as Palladium, but that's another story.

17. 1398342003

1398342003 Ubermodder

No modded or lighted mice, keyboards, monitors, or anything attached to a comp.

18. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

They forgot....

Furthermore our invention utilizes a form of output such as a monitor, a processor, and input devices, such as keyboard and mouse.

Our other invention is a flat surface area utilizing four legs for support, which allows multiple users to consume nutrition at a set time during the day.

Another of our inventions allows light to pass through an otherwise bland wall in your home, with a possibility for our invention to 'open' allowing matter to pass through a wall as well.

Our other invention is like a cylindar, only it is missing a top, allowing liquids such as water and tea to be contained in it, ready for human consumption.

We also, in cooperation with Al Gore, invented the internet.

Oh and gravity, that was us....

electricity... guilty as charged.

CDs, TVs, Furniture, Cars, Gasoline, Velcro, Magic Markers, Toilet Paper, Speakers, stamps, the Olympics, and bit-tech... yup, us too.

half the hippy population getting interested in computers because the look good "even when we sober up", oh yeah.

Fast, intelligent hardware that is incredibly overpriced, proprietary, and harder to use... uh huh.

we don't make any of the bad things in life, just all the good things...

19. RAM Z

RAM Z What's a Dremel?

This proves my theory that Steve Jobs (CEO of Apple) is the devil.

He is known for crap like this. Right before he took over Apple again, Apple spun off thier Newton Technologies division. It's rumured that because it wasn't his idea to begin with he wanted the Newton dead. Well him and Bill Gates got together and he got a huge check from gates for I think 100 million and he reasorbed the Newton division and killed it. He did it on purpose, Sun Microsystems wanted to buy it. Then bill Gates announced Windows CE later called Pocket PC.

DO NOT under estimate this man. He's pure EVIL!

I loved my Newton :grr:

20. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

LOL! 117! Crackin me up. But c'mon. If apple were going to do anything about this, wouldn't they have done it by now? I mean, they've had the pattent for a year or so...