1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster An easy CAD soft for making some plans for a cnc router?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Dead Ghost, 13 Jan 2008.

1. Dead Ghost

Dead Ghost What's a Dremel?

I found a local shop that does cnc cutting, but they need me to do a cad drawing of the panel. I wish to do something like this, from 2mm alu sheet: http://img233.imageshack.us/my.php?image=20406364ds7.jpg

What CAD program is easier to use, for the job i need? Any CAD program is compatible to a CNC machine?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2008
  2. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

Im not sure but cant you save images from photoshop cs2 as CAD

3. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

can you just make a dimensioned drawing for them, rather then in a cad format? Even with something not meant for drafting, you could still make a decent drawing.

4. marcus000

marcus000 Watercooling Mad

Sketchup can export to CAD but it doesnt handle curves very well..

For all my CAD work like fan grills and rad grills I just use Illustrator along with its snap function. :)

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

What kind of file formats can they import? Vector-based drawing programs and even Photoshop's 'work paths' can be exported to .EPS
    I would be interested in a fully-functional autocad freeware too. Those kind of things are becoming so rare anymore.:(

6. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

Sketchup is pure crap when it comes to this. Use either Autocad or my personal favorite, Rhinoceros 3D (There are others of course). You should save the file as a DXF. I'm pretty sure they'll prepare the file in a PC based CNC control application before they send it to the machine itself. Or if you'd like you could probably make a sketch on paper with all the required measurements. Just make sure you get all the measurements in mm

7. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Autodesk AutoCAD would most likely be the best/easyest

You could always draft it youself using a drafting board, paper, pencil and a T-square and have someone at the shop draw it in they're CNC machine

8. kerbeh

kerbeh What's a Dremel?

arhemidies (sp?) and cadSTD are my two favourite free or freeish cad programs, For just something like that you can use an online image to vector program and that should be enough for most cnc machines, even from their importing a vector into a cad cam program is rather trivial.