1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V An interesting digital noise problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lp rob1, 22 Dec 2011.

1. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

I just got my Asus Vulcan today. Am really impressed with the ANC, but I noticed a problem as soon as I connected it to my computer. Every time the computer does anything, be it receiving input from the mouse, or using the hard disk, then I get some digital white noise. The headset is plugged into the front audio ports, but I tried my speaker's headphone jack and still got the same noise (the speakers are connected to the back). Interestingly, I cannot hear the sound through my speakers, just when I plug the headset in. Full specs:
    Intel Core i7 930
    Asus P6T SE
    XFX 5850 Black
    Samsung HDJ*random numbers* 1TB
    Antec True Power 650W
    On board sound
    USB Razer Deathadder

I tried the back ports to see if the headphone wires trailing inside the case would pick up any interference. I assume I can't hear the noise through my speakers because of the different impedences/an amplifier.

EDIT: Slight update, it seems as though the effect is most noticeable while in Firefox, but impossible to hear in a game or on the desktop. The plot thickens...

Last edited: 22 Dec 2011
  2. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Try unplugging your USB devices and see if it goes away? Otherwise it might be time for a sound card.

3. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Yes, at some point I do want a soundcard. But as the problem is mainly in Firefox, which has little to no need of a headset, I think I can live.

4. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

Try setting the power plan to high performance or otherwise disabling switching of the CPU to a low power state. When the CPU frequency is constantly changing, it can cause large current surges which lead to noise (or something like that), so this might work as a temporary solution.

5. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

hello sir,
    i have the same board and gpu and had the same problem, the sound of a grinding car gearbox through the speakers all the time/unsuppressed car stereo noise is similar, when i took my pc to bits to add second gpu, i also updated bios, fresh install of windows, fresh ati drivers, and the noise vanished, i dont know how it was cured but i did do my head in for months.

6. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Well it seems to only be particularly noticeable when I am browsing the web, and even so, I can ignore it most of the time. I don't think I'm up to reinstalling drivers and messing around with settings - modding Skyrim for a few hours did my head in as it is. But thanks for the help all of you, I'm sure it will be useful stuff to know in the future.