1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding An into and a question

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Raven, 8 Jul 2002.

1. Raven

Raven What's a Dremel?

Hello All,

Fairly new to the boards, posted a couple times. So thought is was time I said hello, and what an awesome site. And I have a question to boot.

I recently bought a Clear-pc to house my Tyan MP 2460 mobo and showcase the dual processors. I wanted to replace the ugly sqare red stock power button. It's my first mod, have to start somewhere right? I will also be building the Hard drive meter, this w-e. (Thx to Macroman)

I have an old reset swith (momentary) that is round and in the traditional beige. I added a silver tape to give it a nicer look. But now I wanted to light it somehow, anyone have an idea as to how? Should I use el cable or a LED?

Have a great day, and happy moddin...

2. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

led would probably be best as you would only need a small amount of neon string and they don't come in very very very samll lengths.

Welcome to the forums :D

3. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

welcome to the forums..

I would definatly go with a LED.. maybe for a even more trick look make a small pinhole in the rocker part of the switch for the light to shine thru.. or something..

-scoob8000

4. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

You could always use an LED with a bit of fibre optic running into the switch if space is limited. Just drill a 1mm hole into the top of the LED and glue in a piece of fibre optic, you should cut fibre optic with a soldering iron with a knife bit or a hot blade, if you use scissors you won't get effective light transfer into the fibre. (Don'g get any glue on the face of the fibre) Place the fibre in the hole and THEN glue! You could then slip a piece of heatshrink over the LED and shrink it, If you use heatshrink that is already glued on the inside you can pinch the ends shut so that no light shines from this bit and draws your eyes elsewhere in the case!

5. Raven

Raven What's a Dremel?

Thanks alot

Thanks for the advise... I will defenitly go with an LED. I'll post the results soon, good thing I have a few of those swichs... as I know I'll probably wreak the first one or glue it to my thumb whichever comes first.

6. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Superglue and Bed Sheets = bad, variation - superglue & thumb = worse!

7. Raven

Raven What's a Dremel?

Flashback from shopclass: A little bit of super glue on handle of hammer.+three hour wait at hospital = buddys gettin a good laugh... me gettin even.