1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An overdue return

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by mercinarynurse, 6 Nov 2010.

1. mercinarynurse

mercinarynurse What's a Dremel?

Hello

Firstly its been a year and a half since I was last on these forums. Last time I posted I was having a nightmare of a time getting my old rig to fold so forgive me if I seem a little out of the loop.

So a year and a half later and I have completely replaced my rig so I am preparing to start again.

I'm doing my homework before I get started so I have a couple of questions... ok here goes:

1: I know radeons are very poor at folding but I have to keep my old amd loyalties alive somehow.. can someone give me ppd estimate for a quad core 8300 cpu with a radeon 5770?

2: I also have an old machine that is an always on network server, can someone suggest an agp card that would be suitable for folding??? The machine is using a skt 478 celeron so I don't expect much out of it, but every little helps... (I know there may not be any suitable agp cards.)

Many thanks,

Scott

2. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

1. Personally I would just use the SMP client on your quad 8300cpu and forget about the radeon 5770.

AMD cards use a lot of CPU resources when folding and would cause a dramatic reduction in the PPD from the SMP client.

PPD would depend on whether the client was run on a 24/7 basis as bonus points generated depend on how quickly a WU is returned.

2. I have no knowledge on the suitability of agp cards for folding but I suspect the best option would to run the classic cpu client and leave it at that.

Good luck!

3. seacombe2379

seacombe2379 Old Folder

Same ive been out for a while so i thought id re instate my use as the comp is on but only surfing the net

just need to set the sig thing working now

4. mercinarynurse

Ello again.

Ok i got the smp client running away fine... but it seems to be going alot slower than before. Im not sure if im doing this right. I have 1 client running but after 8 1/2 hours im not even 50% of the way through the work unit.

im way out of date with this stuff and to be completely honest my sklls lay in hardware not so much the software stuff.

Can anyone give me a few pointers please?:thumb:

5. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

The best thing to do is use a monitoring program. It monitors you clients and reports your PPD. Google "HFM.NET" and use that.

6. mercinarynurse

yeah im using FahMon but im not convinced its going the way it should.

7. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Fahmon doesn't calculate the bonus points correctly, which is why most of us use HFM :)

8. mercinarynurse

ah ok. il take a look.

9. Looney

Looney CPC Asylum Seeker

Welcome back!
    Loons :thumb:

10. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

Surely the latest version of Fahmon (2.3.99.3) is OK?

When I ran them side by side they were giving very similar results.

mercinarynurse - it does depend on the WU, but the figures you are getting look OK to me.

I run a quad 8400 at stock on SMP and get a similar level of performance.

11. uncle_fungus

uncle_fungus P/T Folding@home developer

Indeed.