1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs An update on the redesign

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 20 Apr 2010.

1. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Anything below 75% get's unreadable for me. That is on an HP LP2275w @ 1680x1050.
    You might want to go and get those eyes checked. :p

2. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Way to support your readers tbh, you sir are a *fool*, and one of the many reasons why me (and many others) are starting to dislike BT. I hope your not employed for much longer. but its quite obvious your mentallity is that of most of the staff so you probably wont be.

PS - i kinda like the site, not feelin the new content layout tho, it may grow on me tho :)

Last edited by a moderator: 22 Apr 2010
  3. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

NickCPC is not employed by Custom PC, bit-tech or, as far as i know, Dennis Publishing.

4. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

A clear problem, there is a back to top link in the footer though.

5. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

They are colour coded as I mentioned in my edit... what I mean is that the colours should be visable at all times, either through coloured surrounds of the topic headers or different coloured text, and not just visable when the mouse moves over the text.

6. SchizoFrog

Something else I don't understand is why use a different font size for when writing comments on article pages? If we are supposed to be able to read at the current font size used, should we not be able to write at that size too? Maybe it's just a way of making our text stand out while typing... not sure.

7. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Cheers Jamie, Ive missed that before. should make things a little easier.

8. Xir

Xir Modder

Before, on the main page. :)

There you've got mixed (colour coded) topics in the left column but the buttons indicating the corresponding sections are only mouse-over colourcoded.

(at least i think that's what he meant...)

9. SchizoFrog

Indeed Xir... You are correct, that is what I meant... lol

Might I also suggest that the 'Top' link in the footer becomes more of a 'Back To Top' button to partner 'Post Comment'? That would make more sense to me as it would stand out more and be more useful, as would a 'To The Bottom' button to go at the top of the comments section.

10. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

I see what you mean; the site is missing a "key" at the moment. We consciously moved away from the coloured backgrounds on the section buttons in the old header - I wouldn't be too keen to bring them back, TBH, as I'm not a fan of the multi-coloured splodge look... Something to think about.

11. Jamie

We've added a few buttons to help move around the comments page.

12. leslie

leslie Just me!

Two in a row! Won't someone please think of the children! [​IMG]

13. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

*sorry ignore*

14. SchizoFrog

I like the added buttons. I still think that a 'Back to Top' button in between 'Post Comment' and 'Discuss...' buttons would be better than the very discreet link in the footer.

As for the colour key, I understand your point Sifter3000 but I feel it's wrong to use a colour code and then not have a key on the main page for easy reference. Even if the text of the topic headers were different colurs then you would have the key in a simple manner without the big blotches of colour you are trying to avoid.

15. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

I must admit after using the site for a few days I am liking the new layout less and less.
    Busy would be an understatement. It just seems that far too much has been shoehorned into the front page, why?? as it is just far too cluttered.

16. Jamie

Yes, 344 so far have switched to variable width.

17. SchizoFrog

I kinda agree with Andy Mc although I am still giving it more time. But I think too much has been designed around the adds and the amout of wasted space on the website is ridiculous. I mean just glancing up while writing this on a 22" @ 16x10 and the comments are less than 4.5" out of the 10.5" used for the page. Personally if I had to go with a 3 column design I would have had the Articles in the middle and using more width and then had the 'Adds' and 'Other' on the left and right. The way it is now I can't help but feel distracted from what I am actually trying to read by either adds or links to something else.

I have also noticed a physical change too. As I tend to open my browser in the centre of my screen, the comments are on the left of the screen as I look at it and after a few minutes I tend to lean to the left to focus on what I am reading... By the time I finish reading an article I actually feel uncomfortable and tend to click to a different site.

18. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Would just like to say that the colour for the hypertext links is a bit ambiguous, in that when you've visited a link it has a lighter colour, but this colour is almost indistinguishable from the original colour.

Liking it overall more and more each day :D

19. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

hey guys

any update on the colours of this site? They look very washed out !

20. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

what colours are washed out? I've just had a quick nosey at the web archive version and they seems pretty much the same as they were to a quick visual check, though I admit I haven't broken out a spectrometer to check if they are the exact same shades.

One thing I've noticed why does the bits page not have a coloured tab bar under the first menu tab bar, like all the other heading pages?

Tags: Add Tags