1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Ancrimonious

Discussion in 'Modding' started by RascalRusty, 28 Jan 2003.

1. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

I was thinking about 20 LEDs aranged in 2 circles (one for HDD one for NIC); the leds would light in sequence so it would look like the circle(s) were spinning, the LEDs would fade out so that it looked as if it was chasing its tail round in circles. The circuit would continue working even when there was no HDD/NIC activity allthough the LEDs will not be on, so if the HDD/NIC stops for a moment the effect will be consistant.

2. Arcana

Arcana What's a Dremel?

cool...sounds interesting....throw in somethign to show the powers on, and then add in the 10M and 100M indicators, and thats kickass!

3. acrimonious

give us a few mins and i'll get you a schem

4. RascalRusty

RascalRusty What's a Dremel?

acrimonious, what is the Q5 LED for you have put in the Chaser with strobe???

5. acrimonious

IRT Rascal: It (along with the photo transitor opposite) is a opto-isolator.

[​IMG]
    Heres the Schem; i'll give you a layout guide later but i have 2 overlapping circles in mind, with 2 different colour(/color) LEDs for each circle with the power indicator in the middle of the HDD circle in a furthur colour LED and the 10/100 LEDs in the middle of the NIC circle in the same colour as the power LED.

Last edited: 29 Jan 2003
  6. RascalRusty

acrimonious, im not on about that circuit mate, The one you desgined me last night on page two, LED Q5.....whats that for

7. acrimonious

I Know

Q5 is an optoisolator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. RascalRusty

Oh right sorry mate, what is that for and do

9. acrimonious

10. RascalRusty

So why do I need one in my chaser strobe circuit

11. acrimonious

Follow the circuit through and you'll see that it takes the signal from the 2nd 555 timer (used for the strobe) and applies it to the LED banks on the left hand side of your circuit.

12. RascalRusty

Im not too good with how these things all work butI take it the second 555 timer provides a very fast storbe out put signal that goes throught the opto-isolator to the 3 sets of 3 LEDs, causing them to strobe. Corrct???

Does the opto-isolator need to be in darkness to work correctly

13. acrimonious

No its in a completly sealed single package. Its a little DIL chip.

14. RascalRusty

Ok, can you only get one, or is that a specific one I need to get so I can pick it up from maplin tomorrow.

Also, refering to the rainbow circuit you done, will it run 12v LEDs ok, cause these are all maplin had in stock in the high brightness types

15. acrimonious

Use the 4N27.

For the rainbow circuit 12v are fine, you may want to reduce the resistance on R2-R6 to 100

16. RascalRusty

Ok will do mate, thanks

Im going to use the blue LEDs that where in there before, 4 of the ran off a 5v line with a single 80 ohm resistor between them, so sahll I leave this resistor in the new rainbow circuit at about 300 ohm cause of it rinning on a 12v line

17. acrimonious

Clarify please...

18. RascalRusty

errr, Well the old bubble tube that where on my case had 4 Blues LEDs, 2 for each tube, these where run from a 5V line with a 80 ohm resistor in between.

Nown Im chagning the blue leds for a rainbow effect with the circuit you done for me, the Red and Yellow LEDs I brought today are 12v ones and you just said use a 100ohm resistor instead. The blue ones that were in there before I dont have no specs on apart from running from 5v with a 80 ohm resistor, so shall I put a 300 ohm resistor in the circuit for the blues LEDs as the rainbow circuit runs off 12v

19. acrimonious

Yeah that should be okay. |So your using 1 original Blue and 1 High 12v Red and 1 High 12v Yellow as a pose to Red Green Blue?

20. RascalRusty

Yes, thought the yellow might look better in the bubble tubes, but the chaser circuit you designed for my tri0colour fan I will still be using red, green, and blue.

I had to get the 12v ones because the original blue LED from the bubble tubes were very bright so i needed some to match that, and the only high brightness LEDs maplin had in stock today were 12v ones. But as long as that dont matter.