1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

And so it begins.....Project: Not Sure yet

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Randomboy, 29 Oct 2003.

1. Randomboy

Randomboy What's a Dremel?

Welp, I've finally compiled all the parts to start my case. I was going for something a bit different in shape I suppose :) It will be all 1/4" smoked gray plexi, in a shape roughly equivalent to a 14x14x16" cube, making use of little to no screws, 1" clear acrylic rod, and a whole bunch of LED's.

Heres all my parts as they sit now:

Here is my dtek pro heatercore and shroud, to be mated with a 120mm Panaflo M1a, which I'll either just run at 5 or 7v, or throw it on a potentiometer :p
    [​IMG]

Here I have all (almost) of my plexi that I had cut. I had 4 24x24" sheets cut to size after preparing the dimensions. They just made up a price when I picked it up, and I had all this cut for 10 dollars!!! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: This was after they quoted me $55/hr for labor.
    [​IMG]

Here we have my miscellaneous parts and supplies ;) This includes, IC's, LED's, Techflex (thanks GNome :)), IPS #4 adhesive, syringe applicator, micro momentary switches, various guage wire, 3/8" ID silicone tubing, heat shrink, hole saw,DD reservoir, tube fittings, 2500 grit sandpaper :)
    [​IMG]

Here we have a few "test subjects" :)
    [​IMG]

And here we have my 2 6' lengths of 1" OD, and 3/4" ID clear acrylic rod :)
    [​IMG]

So, thats it for now, gonna start work on it thi safternoon.

2. Cyberbob:-)

Cyberbob:-) Minimodder

Looks like another interesting case. Can't wait to see the progress...

So G-gnome helped you out too? He did the same for me. What a guy!! :clap:

I shall keep an eye on this. I keep toying with the idea of doing a alu case or plexi. I will take the plunge one day.

Happy :dremel: :dremel: :dremel:

3. Randomboy

Nah, I've simply borrowed a few ideas from "The Orac3". Plus this case will fit up on a little shelf on my desk, as opposed to shoved underneath it :) Looks kinda large on paper, but measured out its about the size of 15-17" Flatscreen monitor or the likes :)

4. Cyberbob:-)

Cyberbob:-) Minimodder

I mean with the braiding. He sent me some too.

Looking forward to your updates mate...... :D

5. Randomboy

I ordered the braiding directly from Techflex :p Mine is gray, not white :)

6. Randomboy

Whats done so far

And here we have my setup for drilling out the corners :) All the outside 4 corners will join at 1" OD acrylic rods, that will be edge lit from the bottom with blue LED's, as well as used as water transmission lines between the upper and lower decks:p

[​IMG]

I stacked the pieces of plexi, and cut through all 4 at once, using a 1" hole saw, worked beautifully. Kept junk out of the way by wedging my lil' shop vac hose under some stuff, and having it suck out my drilling area.

[​IMG]

And to give you an idea of whats going on with these corners.....heres a scrap of 1" rod placed in there.

[​IMG]

And.........a quick mockup of the case with my cut pieces of plexi. A cdrom and 13" Disney ruler for reference :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Placement of gear as follows:
    Upper:
    -Mobo, yay

Middle:
    -HDD
    -Zip drive

Lower:
    -Reservoir (DD round res)
    -Pump (Eheim 1048)
    -Rad, Shroud & Fan (DTek Pro Heatercore, Panaflo M1A)
    -PSU ( with totally trick custom mounting and such :p)
    -CDRom (still trying to figure this one out.....)

LMK what you think!

And heres a piece of scrap I was experimenting on, just held up in front to get an idea of what the components will look like sans lighting :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: 30 Oct 2003
  7. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Well, I will let you know what I am thinking. First I opened this thread, looking at a stack of plexi. My thoughts: crap, another one of those lame plexi cases. When do they stop. But then you started showing off the acrylic rod, and of course the way you will be putting it together. Now you have me convinced, you'll do a great job! I like the actual forms of the casing as it will be. *subscribe*

8. Randomboy

Nahhh, had to be different, hence throw in some odd shapes, smoked plexi, and some acrylic hollow rod :) Its not going to be a circuitry wonder, I'll have minimal switches, pretty straightforward setup. Pretty much I'll have a few switches besides the micro momentary switches I'll be using for PwrOn, Reset, Cd eject, and zip eject, just to control a few large batches of LED's, and maybe a Pot or two :p

I only first saw this forum after a link to GNomes rig, but I was in line for a new case anyways, and wanted something a bit different than prefab :)

9. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

A nice concept and a great start - keep it up! :thumb:

I see you, also, are a fan of the vacuum cleaner hose when drilling.

I'll be following your progress with interest. :)

10. BLaZEjjp

BLaZEjjp What's a Dremel?

Robots will kill me?

11. Randomboy

www.lsdiodes.com Ph33r :D

12. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

looks promising, will be following this one :dremel:

13. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

yay looks nice, I like the design.. i think i might follow this case

14. Zoomer

Zoomer What's a Dremel?

slightly remind me of the PC they had in T2 the grid of cubes.

nice start.

15. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

I love the design so far...nice! :rock: This is going to be a good one, cant wait for the updates :)

16. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

MMMM.....this is indeedy gonna look amazing. I felt the same way as Ramilair at the start, but you have me convinced :D

17. Solarius

Solarius What's a Dremel?

Firstly, love the originality.. great job!

Now on to constructive criticism:
    I'm not pro on watercooling but should the res, or rad or something ( basically the last step before it starts to circulate through the different blocks, and the next step after the pump ) be on teh top level so you're not fighting gravity the whole way? You could almost have a waterfall effect going that way. In fact, it might be cool to have the res going in between the two layers ( fully visible ). Have the rad on top right after the pump, and of course the pump on the bottom redistributing the rez to the rad. Put in a swirler thing and you could have a UV colored tornado constantly moving from top layer to the bottom..

Okay, a little carried away there, but you get the idea.. ;)

18. Goldberg

Goldberg Minimodder

Nice concept indeed. Stuff you got sounds good.

Keep on modding :dremel:

19. DRxAndy

DRxAndy What's a Dremel?

good start :)
    i'll keep my eyes peeled for an update :thumb:

20. Randomboy

Hey Solarius, another Taxachusett'er here. Nah, I've had the pump at the bottom, or simply outside my case for all other setups, and so far as I know the water still flows uphill :) I'm keeping simply the mobo up top as kind of a "display case" if you will. Nothing flashy, just an Asus A7N8X Dlx, but I like how it'll be for now. Plus there really shouldnt be too much restriction with 2 x 3/4" outlets running to the top, as well as 2 x 3/4" inlets running from the top :)

I have a habit of just kinda planning as I go, so I'm still planning out equipment placement in the lower tier, the 2 upper ones are already pretty much locked as to how they'll be. I'm too tired after work during the week to do much, look back for an update probably this weekend , should have most all my cutting done, and who knows, I might even glue something together!!! :clap: