1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V ...and the crowd goes wild!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by guzzler, 17 Jan 2003.

1. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

Aye but if you want stereo headphones that doesnt really help.

col

2. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

ah...but why bother with surround...we are talking music here...real music is stereo not surround! i already have surround speakers...their ok...i have a hifi, which is great for music but i now want to listen to music at decent quality through headphones...

3. Altron

Altron Minimodder

As if my mannerisms do not already show this, I hold nothing but contempt for music through surround sound systems. For movies it's excellent, but music is what matters. And 120 pounds (I'm in the US so I don't know the correct alt keys for the symbol) won't get surround anywhere near as nice for music as headphones will.

I was unaware of the problems of the jung super regulator, I in general prefer MOSFET amps and power supplies, it came to mind as a cheap solution for an opamp based amp.

4. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

ignore

5. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I'll refer to your original post - No surround headphones come close to stereo headphones, and no surround speaker setup can come close to an equal priced headphone setup in terms of music reproduction ability. I'm not going to claim headphones are always better than surround speakers, but up until you spend around $5000 the headphones will usually be better for music.

And no, I haven't insulted everyone.

6. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

The reason I deleted my post was because I missed the second page and was replying to a post on page 1. Hence the edit. No offence was intended and the post wasnt infact pointed at you.

7. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Oh, cool. I know I can be a shade biased against surround at times.

8. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

Dont worry I dont like them in the slightest. I have my 4.1 ADA885s on stereo x2 beacuse surrond is pointless and I hate the idea of surround phones and find them a gimic. Though you could probably tell I like my music with me getting some E3s

9. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Music reproduction is so much more important than movie noises. Seriously, who cares if you can hear an explosion? Music is what matters. I don't care much for canalphones, but I am hoping to pick up some nice Grados soon.

10. guzzler

guzzler What's a Dremel?

to get back on topic, there's no problem per se with a Jung regulator, I use one myself but it's certainly more awkward to use than, say, a monolitic regulator such as the LM317. It's sensitive to long leads, opamp choice, layout of the board (VERY much so!), and current draw

g

11. Altron

Altron Minimodder

So a simple voltage regular would work beter? Like a LM3815 and LM3915?

12. guzzler

guzzler What's a Dremel?

no, I'm just saying that for the hassle involved getting a Jung working properly, and the fact it will cost more than an LM317-type as you still need the transformer, rectifier, smoothing caps, and associated boards to go with it; is not worth it for a META42 when a simple monolithic circuit will do just as well. The Jung is perfect for high end equipment, and digital equipment due to it's superb transient response. And the LM3915 is an LED driver, not a regulator :sigh: I think you mean the 78** for positive and 79** for negative. These are absolute regulators, and aren't as good (although I can never hear a difference) as a variable regulator like the LM317, LT1086 etc

g

13. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Ah, I seem to have mixed up "3" with "7"