1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Andrew House confirms the PS4 Neo exists, isn't coming to E3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 10 Jun 2016.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

So, basically it's a PS4 with upgraded graphics to handle 4k? Who ordered that? I see no mention of VR support, which would have actually been useful.

My phone autocorrects PS4 to PC :clap:

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Trusted reviews have confirmed the launch now. Basically Ps4 4k. All games should work with both consoles.

Would not expect this to be a cheap upgrade.

Last edited: 10 Jun 2016
  4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Both the PS4 and PS4-neo/whateveritgetscalled will support PSVR. Scaling up the render target resolution to take advantage of any additional GPU power will be nicely trivial (no such thing as 1:1 display on the current crop of VR HMDs, so there's no image quality penalty for non-integer scaling factors).

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I wonder if this is Sony's way of encouraging people yo buy 4k TVs.

6. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

Sounds like the beefed up PS4 is going to be not too consumer friendly in pricing from what I read between the lines. And if even sony is worried you have to wonder how staggering it's going to be.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Should be same price as launch PS4 with current PS4 going 'slim' and ~$199. AMD and GloFo are 'cheap'

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Considering how hard 4K TVs prices are in freefall mode they might as well just stop producing any TVs that aren't 4K.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Exactly this. It challenges the premium segment with Samsung. Every PS has pushed tech to benefit its wider business: DVD in PS2, Blu-ray in PS3.

10. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

I thought it was about their VR headset and future plans in that area, but I suppose it is both.

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The extra grunt helps for VR... but that's a happy coincidence, this hardware refresh was always gonna be about UHD Blu-Ray/4k video support more than better gaming imo. Games still have to run on the vanilla PS4 after all.

12. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I seriously doubt that this updated unit will be able to render a 60fps 4K game as well as the current PS4 can render 60FPS 1080p.

1. To 'do' VR well, Sony needed for grunt - so they needed to give people the option of using a gruntier console.

2. To support PS4 / 1080p, VR & 4K Sony needs to get developers used to coding a game to render at multiple resolutions. They already do this to a certain extent, but saying "PS4 Neo neo is 100% backwards compatible" is a great thing.

I think the move by Sony to offer a (hopefully) decent GPU upgrade to an existing console is a HUGE thing that's not to be sniffed at. It'll really help VR, it's really help those with 4K displays...

...and it brings console gaming and PC gaming a littler closer in concept.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

VR gives it the up-to-date sales edge because less and less people are buying discs than they used to and premium, big TVs like Bravia are always a niche.

None of these consoles will render at 4K. They'll output at 4K but do 1080p60 and upscale. Sony needs the Neo to do 1080p90 for its VR.

14. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

Last edited: 14 Jun 2016
  15. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I really hope that the new Xbox comes out at that price ... I'll take one!

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

17. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The .5 TB Xbox One S is up for pre-order at £249 at zavvi... £299 for the 1TB

I can see the proper 4k Xbox, the 'Scorpio', being a bit pricier. probably similar price to what the XB1 launched at.

...and i'm guessing the PS 'Neo' will be the sony side equivalent of the Scorpio, in which case i sit corrected, I was thinking it'd be the PS4 equivalent of the S

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I was expecting the S to be Q4 but it's in time for back to school! Wow, that's pretty nuts.

Tags: Add Tags