1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Android Owners: Hear my Cries

Discussion in 'General' started by Gunsmith, 15 Jan 2011.

1. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

ygpm. Backups with titanium just allow a quick restore of all the apps you've got installed. - if you havnt already found out, restoring a load of apps from the market is a pita.

Take a nandroid backup anyway - just so you know you have something that works you can re-flash.

check if you can get into clockwork by booting with vol down before flashing, just to be safe :)

and make sure you wipe your data partition before flashing. it isn't always necessary, but reduces the risk of **** hitting the afore mentioned fan.

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

alrighty then

into the bootloader we go

[​IMG]

backup made and transferred off phone

[​IMG]

select zip to flash and...

[​IMG]

hmmm, phones fine but im buggered if i know what that means, ideas?

3. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

not sure what it means either.

Did you do an MD5 check on the rom once it is on the SD card?

If that was correct, you can try a different rom or a different version of clockwork. (I'd go for a different rom first)

If you search the Leedroid xda thread for that error, you might find some help.

Just a guess: as its an assert that's failed, see whats in the 'toggle script asserts' menu... you've got a backup, so you can't do any lasting damage.

I'm off now... good luck :)

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

ignore me, im being **** , its a wrong file ^_^

FLASH! AHAAAAAAAA! FAILURE OF THE UNIVERSE!

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

DEATH TO THE ORANGE INFIDELS! FREEDOM IS MINE!

done btw :)

crazyg1zm0 likes this.
  6. knuck

knuck Hate your face

good job mate

7. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Buy your phones/upgrades on contract from mobiles.co.uk and your phone will be unlocked and free from any carrier specific software.

The HD desire is a nice phone but it has the worst battery life I have ever encountered on a phone. The 2.3 update made a big difference but its still awful.

8. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

• There is no 2.3 update, only 2.2.1
    • Battery life depends on your usage. If you are a heavy gamer, then don't expect big battery life on a huge screen like the one on Desire HD. On other side if you use it as a phone with occasional web browsing etc, then it's no problem getting over 1 day of usage, sometimes even over 2 days. With my rare phoning (few minutes a day) i had no problems with Desire HD running over 3 days on one charge.

9. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

Congratz, enjoy the phone :)

10. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

You are correct it is 2.2.1. I'm a light phone user, wireless is switched off unless i'm at home, bluetooth is never on, I don't have facebook as i'm not a teenage girl or gay, I dont use twitter and I normally make one or two short calls per day and some light texting and battery barely lasts a day. Half an hour of Angry Birds uses half of the battery. If your a heavy smart phone user don't buy a desire HD.

11. knuck

knuck Hate your face

rofl

how would you rate the regular desire, battery wise ?

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

better but still quite hungry.

13. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

Sounds like you've got a particularly bad case there - android battery life isn't great, but any phone should be better than that (although angry birds does hog the battery - so does doodle jump). On my phone i get about 40Hours as long as i don't spend too long playing games.

Check you haven't got google goggles running in the background - after the latest update it has HOGGED battery on my phone. If GG is in the background i get 4 hours! i'm assuming it will be fixed pdq tho. (i'm guessing its keeping the camera active).

You could try reconditioning the battery - it can help :)

14. knuck

knuck Hate your face

fits with my experience. If I forget to charge it one night I'm screwed the next day

15. b0ng0

b0ng0 Reddomitlum

I've recently installed eMIUI 1.1.14 and I can tell you now - she's a beauuuuuty (said in a scurvy-sailor type voice).

I've had excellent battery life with it (and LeeDroid), having wireless on all the time I'm at work (usually have mobile data turned off as I'm never far from wifi) and get a solid 2 days use out of it (although it does get down to about 13%). Seems like you just have to tweak the Desire more than other phones to get more juice mahoose.

16. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I shall google that. I even have a task killer and tend to run it and kill anything after i exit each application. The last update did make a big difference as the battery usage meter used to show android OS was using about 40-60% of the battery usage and that has dropped to single figures now. Its just annoying how much battery technology is holding us back these days.

17. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Task killers are extremely over rated. It was the first thing I got when my Desire HD arrived. Stopped using it after about 2 weeks (I forgot, basically). Then I realised there was no difference on the battery life AT ALL.

A question for all the clever HTC bods on here. My Desire HD gives me constant, repeated notifications whenever I get an email. I often don't bother reading them as I know what they are etc etc. I'll then delete all the crap from one day in the evening. I don't, want to have to delete every email one by one as they come to stop the notifications. One buzz, I can handle. 20 bloody rings, is quite enough. I find it most annoying at night. Would rooting and using a custom ROM allow me to change this? I'm still a bit dumbfounded that you can't turn them off normally....

18. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Gmail, menu key, More, Settings, Notification settings, Email notifications on/off, or Notify once on/off ?

Or you are using something else ?

19. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I'm using my POP3 account.

I can goto the same menu but in notification settings I only have Email notifications on/off, notification sound on/off and notification vibration on/off

.....pretty whack eh.

20. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I might have possibly found what is killing my battery. I have occasionally noticed that the WiFi connection sometimes goes into a weird spasm where it constantly tries to connect, errors, reconnect, error in a infinite loop of fail.

Anyone else seen this?