1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows annoying Lag when opening My network

Discussion in 'Software' started by yakyb, 31 Aug 2010.

1. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

okay a minor annoyance

but my network is fast as hell, sustained 90MB/s copies over it and everything is fine and dandy

however whenever i open my network (windows 7) it takes about 15 seconds for my network computers to show up.

normally i just access my server using '\\home' which has no problem whatsoever, but on some windows (open folderdialog) its just not possible and you have to wait for all network comps to be found

surely there is a service somewhere that is able to keep a map of networked computers and keep it regularly updated

anyone know what it is or whether its something that needs to be broadcast or listened

or could this be a dns issue?

cheers

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Well there are myriad things to consider when accessing network shares, such as AntiVirus software, DNS configuration, the NTFS volume (security descriptors & indexes) setup, etc.

Also, do you have multiple switches/routers on the network? Do you find that the slowness occurs only when having to traverse switches/routers?