1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Another 17inch Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The cheapskate, 29 Nov 2006.

1. The cheapskate

The cheapskate One custom title before Matty

Right guys, Some idiot (me) left my laptop on a bus.

Luckily I have always kept backups, and My insurance has paid out, So ive got about a week untill I get £1250. I need a new laptop.

My requirements, It must be 17inch. It has to be wide screen 1440x900 min.

Im also acumulating a selection of brands im not happy with, Fujitsu Siemens are appauling, (im useing one now) and I wasnt happy with the asus, as the touch pad and a few other things just never felt right.

Battery isnt an issue, As its used in uni, and on my desk. 3d Power is a must but only to the point of a 1400 ATI (or equiv) , just something that can have a some power if needed.

Hard drive space is a big one, more the better, And Core 2 duo is a must.

any other extras are welcome.

Im thinking of going with a sony

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/117435
    this is a sony vaio core 2 duo, 1.83, 160 gig hard drive, 7600 graphics, tv tuner, and a wifi etc. also if bought from laptops direct it comes with a free upgrade to vista. (for people to lazy to click)

As ive heard from a friend there customer service is great, Does any one else have any other ideas? Any bad storys from this laptop? Ideas welcome?

(please dont mock me for leaveing my lappy on a bus, you have no idea what its like untill you do it, any one who has lost one will know the feeling)

thanks people :thumb:

As usual E-Beers on me if you make even a semi usefull post.

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Go dell IMHO.

My sister has a Sony Vaio (similar to yours) and she is on her third one in 3 weeks.

3. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

im pretty sure i read that asus make sony's laptops. so if you dont like asus ones then you may not like some of the sony's controls as its bound to be the same..

saying that a mate has had a vaio for over a year now and its never had any problems and still works great

4. The cheapskate

The problem with dell is there so ugly, they look like a silver lump of plastic.

I have a horrible feeling im gona end up going with the sony, and I know the dell is the better choice....

5. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

[sarcasm]Stop being such a girl[/sarcasm]

My mum is getting on of their X2 series (1GB RAM etc...) for £550, 2 years call out warranty included, has a free upgrade to Vista (£11 P&P)

6. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

what about lenovo? the thinkpad R60 which would cost all your money has a widescreen, x1400, core2duo and 100gb hdd

http://www5.pc.ibm.com/uk/products.nsf/$wwwPartNumLookup/_UL1DXUK?OpenDocument

7. riggs

riggs ^_^

I would recommend the Novatech Titan, or (if you can go over budget) Blazer, but it sounds like design and looks are important to you - something that these [made in Taiwan] machines lack (but imo, it's what's inside that counts!)

I personally own the top-end Blazer, and I'm over the moon with it in terms of performance. Sure, it has a few design quirks, but that doesn't really bother me - I see them as 'unique' features!

8. shomann

shomann Minimodder

Kinda surprised to hear you don't like the Asus notebooks - from what I hear they are usually very well built.

You could go with a Rock or Evesham 17". Both companies (not the particular models) have been reviewed by the bit-tech staff before and are supposedly very solid performers (excellent on-board graphics via a 7950GTX Go). Dells are OK, but the one complaint I have with mine (a 3 yr old D800) is that the keyboard and mouse have always felt cheap and loose. You might also consider a 17" MacBook Pro from Apple and have a great dual-boot machine (admittedly at a high price point).

A great site to check for laptop stuff is notebookreview.com (not affiliated, just a happy user). Good luck with your search!

Last edited: 29 Nov 2006
  9. Callum

Callum What's a Dremel?

I have a Sony Vaio, as does a good friend of mine, and they are great: so long as you don't mess around with them. If you're someone like me, who likes a nice clean install, without all the crap that comes with the laptop, maybe stay away. I uninstalled a lot of stuff that came with it, and it caused a great deal of instability. I tried a completely fresh Windows install from the CD, and found that the drivers on the Sony website are useless.

Even disabling some of the startup options under msconfig caused instability.

Now that I've given up (and I spent quite a while trying to get it to work), it's a great laptop, (and looks pretty swish as well ;)), but the startup time isn't as zippy as I like.

10. anduril

anduril What's a Dremel?

i can't say anything bad about sony vaio but u can reall get better value for money in other brands.
    dell for instance is great so is acer only things u can put against these two brands is that they have a 'plastic' feel. however although they are plastic they are rock solid.

11. KMS-oul

KMS-oul You think you know me.

On NUS or uni discount

macbook pro
    * 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    * 1440 x 900 resolution
    * 1GB memory
    * 120GB hard drive1
    * 6x double-layer SuperDrive
    * ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics with 128MB SDRAM

Ready to ship: 24hrs
    Free Shipping
    £1,146.80

12. The cheapskate

To all who have replied. thanks people your advice has been considered So I am going to answer you all.

DougEdey : I’ve looked at the dells, But the screen (all be it a better resolution just pales when compared to the VAIO) They also only have 80 gig drives, which just isn’t enough. while a 7900 in a laptop would be nice, I don’t feel I have the need for it, as I haven’t gamed in years.

M4RTIN: I had a look, but its not 17inch, Which I really feel I would miss, Also the specs just don’t feel quite on bar with the other machines.

riggs: You were exactly right they are both fantastically well speced, but they just look to much like the dells. style is very important (how vein is that) And I really don’t think that the 7900 would be justified, Also I think it would be to hot, and to much battery usage.

shomann: So Am I to be honest, But I had 2 (sent one back after the hard drive died within 2 weeks) and lost the second, I just don’t trust them. They seemed amazingly sturdy, and the build quality of the chassis was spot on. they just didn’t work.... as for the rock or evesham, I’ve heard bad things about rocks CS, And the Evesham is over budget, but again, the 7900 wouldn’t be worth it for me.

Callum: thanks man, that’s good news. As long as the hardware is stable and you have had no problems that way all is good. Have you ever had to deal with Sony’s customer service? and if so what’s the response time and things like?

anduril: I realise I’m getting ripped off to a degree, and that other brands are better value, but I think this time I am happy to pay more for the style, support, and features of this notebook.

KMS-oul: Believe me Ive thought very hard about it. The only thing that puts me off the Macs, is the Screen size for price, And the fact that it wont come with a vista upgrade, which I think is important. (even though I wont use it for at least a year)

Thanks to every one for there advice. please keep it coming,

Does any one have any support story’s of there laptops? aka you have sent it back, and its been replaced in 2-3 days? or anything that has impressed you? (or made you swear to never buy anything made by them again)

As promised An E-Beer on me for all

Thanks people.

Edit*
    Any one recomending a fujitsu seimens laptop will be shot out right then thrown in some dark hole to rot. :p

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

14. Callum

Callum What's a Dremel?

Support wise, I can't really help you. I've only had it since July. When I was having problems with blue screens under any stress at all, I took it into the retailers, not Sony themselves. And of course they simply reinstalled everything.

15. shomann

shomann Minimodder

Mothersmurfer! That's a big screen! Very surprised there isn't a fully loaded down 7950 GTX Go SLI floating around out there with that large of a form factor...

16. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

i love the Aspire 9800! 20.1'' screen! and a 7600 to support it!

17. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

Holy crap!! A 20'' screen and only a 7600 to power it... A little off powerd if you ask me?? none the less, I can't imagine a 20 inch laptop screen!! I'm happy with just my 17" dv8309us..

18. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

This one looks good. Ah just noticed, you're after a 17" screen. In that case, this one looks good :)

Last edited: 1 Dec 2006
  19. The cheapskate

Acer, Im not a huge fan of them, I dont know I think there a budjet brand.

Kenco: I hadent seen the 17inch HP range, Im not sure, its now the toss bettween that and the sony.

The HP has a better screen resolution, Bt the Sony Has an awsume screen.

The battery in the HP is miles better, Does any one have any expirence with the HP customer support?

again cheers for all responces.

20. Pointy Burdz

Pointy Burdz What's a Dremel?

have alook at a Precision M90, and if you think it isn't sexy I'll eat something......................... well inebilble :)

I just upgraded to one and it has a nice stainless effect outer panel and is predominantly dark grey as opposed to all silver

currently running a Meron cpu and 256 meg graphics cars and it is pretty damn sweet

there are 2 video cards offered a 1500m which is equivalent to a 7900gs, and a 2500m which is equivalent to a 7900gtx