1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ANOTHER aluminium cube **56K** *UPDATE 29/11/04*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Flymo, 3 May 2004.

1. Flymo

Flymo What's a Dremel?

OK folks. About to start work on my Aluminium cube case......

Did some initial plans in Autocad 2004, but am going to try and get my head around this sketchup malarky......

Basically gonna be a 420mm Ally cube.
    3 Layers.
    Bottom layer: MOBO (Flat like a desktop :eeek: mobo) and PSU on its side. Matrix Orbital :hip: at the front along with 1 80mm fan to balance the PSU fan.
    Middle layer: 2 HDDs at the back and a DVD-ROM and DVD-RW at the front.
    Top Layer: 2 X 120mm intakes at the front, 2 of the same (only out) at the back. 1 Heatercore across the width of the case (surrounds blocked off forcing air through it) leading to Eheim 1250 pump and a copper :naughty: reservoir (1.2mm CU sheet) with a window.
    Top window and 3 side windows and one on the back at the top to see into the copper reservoir.
    UV Green molexes and stuff on the PSU and UV/green lighting throughout. UV Green dye in the H2O setup

Getting the Ally cut/folded over the next few days and will bring along the digicam.

Best thing is.... getting the Ally for £20 :naughty:

Flymo

Last edited: 29 Nov 2004
  2. 1st time modder

1st time modder What's a Dremel?

are you have it cut in a CNC machine?
    can i have some aluminum since its that cheap :D

3. Flymo

Flymo What's a Dremel?

The ally is being cut to size in a metal guillotine. Has an accuracy of +/-.05mm, so no problem there. Everything else is going to be cut out by hand :dremel:
    The Ally is coming from a pal who runs a sheet metal fab business (small 2-man operation). He bought it a while back for making templates, but never used it, so I am blagging it at cost.

Flymo

4. Flymo

Flymo What's a Dremel?

Some BASIC autocad Renders just to give me ideas for positioning the stuff inside- no WC gear in place in them though.
    Everything done to scale though

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only thing prefab about the case is going to be the back panel for th I/O ports on the mobo and the PCI /AGP slots cut out

Flymo

5. Caffeind

Caffeind What's a Dremel?

hmm... will be interesting to se some actuall cuttings

caff.

6. Hephaistus

Hephaistus What's a Dremel?

looks promissing. :)

7. Flymo

Flymo What's a Dremel?

minor Update

Got some perspex sheets (5mm)
    2 X (380mm X 380mm X 5mm) Clear perspex with bevelled edges
    1 X (380mm X 150mm X 5mm) smoked perspex with bevelled edges.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry, but my digicam doesnt seem to like these situations (as its new, more likely I am doing it wrong....)

Was supposed to pick up aluminium today too, but the guy had to go out to a site :( hopefully tomorrow.

Flymo

8. Flymo

Flymo What's a Dremel?

minor Update

Minor update time.
    Was supposed to pick up the aluminium today, but the guy cutting it got a few extra jobs, so cant do it till tuesday :waah:

I took some pics of the stuff being used for the case, so here goes:

Some Dangerden Clearflex 1/2" ID tubing and the Maze3 thats going to be modified slightly and have a new hold-down device so it fits the Athlon64 board.
    [​IMG]

I had a couple of plastic junction boxes I was going to cover with adhesive aluminium sheeting from halfords that boy-racers use to set off their new exhaust end-cans. Got to Halfords and discovered a sheet (that would do one box) was £13 :jawdrop: . Went across the road to maplins and discovered these: Aluminium roject boxes for £2 ish EACH :rock:
    [​IMG]

Gonna have to sleeve the wires on the PSU :waah:
    [​IMG]

UV Neon Tube:
    [​IMG]

2 UV Cold cathodes and a green Cold Cathode:
    [​IMG]

1.5m of EL wire (green):
    [​IMG]

While I am sleeving the PSU wires, I may as well add these: UV Green Molexes etc for the PSU, oh, and TEN :rock: UV LEDS (with accompanying resistors)
    [​IMG]

2 X 80mm UV Green fans and some UV Green Dye for the H20:
    [​IMG]

2 X 120 mm case fans to cool the RAD (gonna be matched up with another pair):
    [​IMG]

Nuff said:
    [​IMG]

My Fan speed controller I got (kit form) from www.coolputer.fi after reading a review here a while back (gonna have to modify it slightly - unfortunately, Maplins were out of the brushed alu knobs today :( ):
    [​IMG]

The B0rked transistor on the controller - none in stock in maplin, so a trip elswhere to get a replacement:
    [​IMG]

Switches including the keylock:
    [​IMG]

mmmmmmmmmmmm.... Vandal switch (2 of):
    [​IMG]

The 'RAD' - Heatercore that can fit 2 X 120mm fans (gonna have to tidy it up a bit.......:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and lastly, the thumb-screws, allen-head Cap screws and some extra wire:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats all for now folks...

Flymo

9. emwee

emwee What's a Dremel?

wohaaa lots off good stuff there - do something with it :rock:

going for an UV theme there are you ?

good luck :thumb:

10. Xeno

Xeno What's a Dremel?

I think UV theme it is. :hehe: Where did you got those molexes? I love 'm!!!! Nice stuff yoy got there. looks promissing! :thumb:

~Xeno~

11. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

should be a interesting project.
    if you want any help with Sketchup, have a look at the thread in my sig, then at the tutorials written ouija. (and don't forget the lessons in the program itself)

keep us updated...

12. Flymo

Flymo What's a Dremel?

Got the molexes from Arien, who comes to this site.
    He runs THIS modding site.

Flymo

13. pears0

pears0 What's a Dremel?

Hey, what car did u get that RAD from, its exactly wot i want, 2x 120 mm fan sive, lol

Thanx

Pearso

14. Flymo

Flymo What's a Dremel?

Store Bought....
    LINKY

UPDATE:

Got the Aluminium today :rock: :rock:

Will post pics tomorrow.
    Also sleeved and added the UV Molexes to the PSU

More updates (and pics) tomorrow.

Flymo

15. Flymo

Flymo What's a Dremel?

Update time

Time for an update methinks........

First of all, I got the ally at last - all nicely cut and bent :D

[​IMG]
    Unfortunately, it wasnt in the best of conditions... have to do something about that.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In order to remove the blemishes and give the brushed ally look, I decided , after trialling several methods people have tried on these forums, that they just werent good enough. So, after a bit of experimentation (actually I got it first time with stuff I had lying about)
    You will need:
    1. 600Grit wet/dry paper (use this DRY to finish after you have used:
    2 THIS.... (NOTE: its one of the double thickness ones)

[​IMG]

I KNOW it seems excessive, but with light runs over the aluminium using the EDGE of the stripper (your drill held parallel to the surface being finished), you end up with THIS:
    [​IMG]

It REALLY is the best finished ally I have seen - looks just like brushed steel.

Flymo

Last edited: 26 May 2004
  16. Flymo

Flymo What's a Dremel?

Remember the heatercore I have?

After a bit of polishing, It now looks like :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also been working on the copper reservoir. I decided on copper rather than ally because
    a) its easier to solder and
    b) no galvanic corrosion in the system (copper pipes in the heatercore and 3 copper waterblocks)

I had the copper bent into 2 'U' sections that were SUPPOSED to sit together nicely and be soldered with minimal fuss.
    As you can see, it didnt quite happen like that :(

[​IMG]

the gaps are a LOT larger (up to 5mm) than they appear in the pic, and there was NO WAY this was going to solder together. So I simply cut it up into 6 sides and soldered them together individually:

[​IMG]
    The copper pipes are for the water in/out (top in and bottom out) the bottom hole is centered on the inlet for my eheim 1250 pump.

ANd speaking of the Eheim... decided to paint it black with vinyl dye:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The barbs are going to be replaced with brass ones, but I just left them on as it was easier to block them with cotton wool...

Flymo

17. Flymo

Flymo What's a Dremel?

And just as a taster, heres the case for a 'dry' fit using plenty of duct tape and a few screws: (BTW: the case is upside down in this pic as I have decided that the bottom layer will hold the dvd rom dvdrw and 2 HDDs, the middle layer holds the mobo and the top layer holds the watercooling.)

[​IMG]

The spacers are 14mm stainless steel rods cut to length and drilled/tapped. A 1" bolt with the head cut off is used to connect the rods and they simply unscrew from each other.

Flymo

18. Fr0z3n

Fr0z3n What's a Dremel?

It looks as if you have alot of good stuff in store. I will defiantly be watching this project. Cant wait to see more. :thumb:

19. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

OH MY GOD! what kind of tool did you use to pollish that radiator?? Did you use a pollishing compound?

Great work there pal! I'll stay tuned :D
    MOD ON! :dremel:

20. Flymo

Flymo What's a Dremel?

Did it on a buffing attachment for a bench grinder. Used some rubbing paste too. Did the smaller details with a felt attachment for the dremel (clone)

Flymo