1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Another Blue CoolerMaster HAF (12/13/12 Small Update - Watercooling soon!)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ModaRobby, 3 Jun 2010.

1. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

So as long as I sanded I'm good? I hope so because all this work I did only to have it crack would piss me off.

2. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I live in India but go to Univ (not for much longer) in California.
    International shipping doesn't handle pressurized goods like spray cans.

3. ModaRobby

Oh I get it now. You need to go to your local Home Depot in California and stock up on all the American stuff you can!!! No offense to products in India. :D

4. Remmes

Remmes Be One With Your Mod

lmao, sir, why do you have all those cans of spray paint?.. i am going to spray my computer..... yeah right, you were going to blow up the airplane!!!!:rock::duh:

5. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

They have regulations on carrying pressurized containers on airplanes :(
    Exactly. Turban+beard doesn't help either.

6. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Steel comes with a protective coat so if you sand and paint you are good to go, but it wont be so durable as - sanding - prime - sanding - paint - sanding - paint . :D

7. ModaRobby

Well you could always come to Florida and sand all this for me? I will be sanding in between coats of color. It depends on what part it is:

bare metal = wetsand + 3 coats of color (sanding in between) + 2 clear.

Painted metal = wetsand + primer + wetsand + 3 color (sanding in between) + 2 clear

Im moving to Delaware later in june/early July and my grandfather has a sand blaster in his autobody shop so all this sanding will be gravy later :rock:

@Remmes LMFAO

Now that I have people following my log: Is there anyway at all to get a Triple-Monitor (Eyefinity) setup using Nvidia GFX cards? The card in question is a PNY GTS 250 1gb edition. I googled it but a lot of the threads were from 2007 and earlier. Is softth a good option or do I need two Nvidia cards running in Non-Sli to have the extra display ports?

One more thing: My list keeps getting bigger...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 9 Jun 2010
  8. Remmes

1 card usually has 2 DVI ports + a tv out or HDMI so 3 ports ( depending on the card)

9. ModaRobby

SO, if I use a HDMI -> DVI adapter on my GPU I can run 3 monitors using Softth?

10. Remmes

afaik, yep:thumb:

11. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Ahh, the list. Every time I make one things tend to get added as I go or things get started and never finished. Plus, looking at a long list makes me feel like I will never get anything done lol. They do help though :D.

12. ModaRobby

Well if you take a look at it, most of it is slotted mesh so it isn't a lot of diverse stuff. I love that mesh, and not a lot of modders have used it from what I've seen.

As of right now, literally, I am sanding all the paint off of the stuff that I painted flat black because I decided to take Ang3ls advice and prime > wetsand > flat black > wetsand > flat black.
    That way it is durable and I dont have to clear coat it which will make it shiny. Pics in two hours or so.

13. Remmes

clear coat wont make it shiny if you got the right coat ( like i do) , if you really want to do without clear coat i think you'll need some more coats of flat black..

14. ModaRobby

@Remmes: All this painting **** is so controversial. I think I'm just going to walk into the closest auto body shop and ask what works and what doesn't. Lol.

Time to show you guys what I've been up to all day.

Update 5: Another Day of Painting

I took Ang3l up on his suggestion about the clear coat on the flat black paint, which is to not use any. I wanted to have the contrast between Gloss Blue and Flat Black. I also didn't want to go spend another 18.00 on Satin Clear Coat (no gloss)

I started by sanding the side panel, rear I/O shield, secondary PCI slot, and 2.5" bay adapters. No progress pics but why bore you with sanding? Anyway, after I sanded everything I grabbed my can of Primer out of the closet and went to town.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was quite pleased with the results until I saw this.... Since I'm a genius I decided to put my painting products on the shelf with all the other spray paint. So my can of Primer blended right in with this stuff.....
    [​IMG]

Cold Galvanizing Compound is a type of paint with Zinc in it that your spray on barbecue grills to prevent corrosion. WELL.... It is not a good primer because when you spray it on something it scratches off as easily as a scratch off lottery ticket. Literally, scratch off tickets are made from Zinc....... So now I have to deal with this. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

The annoying part is the cans look exactly the same.... :wallbash:
    [​IMG]

And you thought scratching your Mom's lottery tickets was fun... Happy thought evaporated. :wallbash:
    [​IMG]

And this is what I have left after about 25 minutes.... :wallbash:
    [​IMG]

And this is what my 220 grit looks like after 35 minutes. You can actually see that after sanding it for awhile, the paint "buffed" and the zinc starts to shine.
    [​IMG]

Btw, I didn't win anything scratching off all those parts.

Here is the result after a coat of Primer, some wetsanding, and a coat of some flat black.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now these I actually did properly because I happened to take a smoke break before I did these. Which is when I noticed the Galvanized garbage (which btw have been duct taped shut inside of a shopping bag) :clap:

Secondary PCI bracket, I/O shield, and 5.25 > 2.5 bay adapters.
    [​IMG]

I also put a second coat of paint on some parts but it doesn't look any different from a few days ago. I do have a couple of sample pictures.

I snapped this one to show the direct contrast between the gloss and matte colors.
    [​IMG]

Remember those buttons I painted from the tool-less drive bay assemblies? (best picture so far huh?)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I thought I was done for the day until I went upstairs and noticed the front fascia to my HAF was out of the box. I noticed even further that I did not paint the front grill.

The annoying part about this is that I had tried to paint the grill a few weeks ago. (a really hideous metallic blue, my attempt at a glittery powder coat look. Fail) Which reminded me that I had used that Galvanized garbage as Primer because I didn't have any real primer...

SO not only did I prime it with a paint that has the dried consistency of a scratch off lottery ticket, I also put 3 coats of paint over it... :wallbash:

Here is the color difference (sorry for the blur)
    [​IMG]

I began to sand it off using the last of my 220 grit and then wetsanding with 320, then I noticed that the paint was caked in between the holes.
    [​IMG]

And the solution.
    [​IMG]

And there I sat, chain smoking and brushing that for the next 20 minutes. :sigh:
    [​IMG]

Time to break out the big guns. Or maybe just my Dremel... Here is whats left of my brush attachment after another 15 minutes or so.
    [​IMG]

And now it hangs all nice and Primed for color.
    [​IMG]

Look at this smiling asshole! Nice and shiny mobo panel.
    [​IMG]

One more bit before I head off. I went to my local Home Depot this morning to pick up some rivets and they only had white. Not even regular silver. So you know what they say, if life gives you white rivets you paint them black and blue!

I used my almost empty can of Sail Blue to create the splatter effect on the rivets. Here's a pic after painting and a layer of clear coat.
    [​IMG]

That's all for today guys and girls, but not until I give you the obligatory lunch and backyard photo. Mmmm stir fry.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keep this in mind: I love constructive criticism, so comment away.

If you like my log then SUBSCRIBE!!.

Last edited: 9 Jun 2010
  15. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

The paint looks much better now, a nice even coat with a nice finish. Priming really is a must, especially when working with alu.

16. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thanks for listening to my advice. Check my worklogs you will see some painting techniques and also you will see the proper way to spray paint and curing. If you cure using an oven its a different story. I have created techniques with 38 layers of paint so if you didnt see my work
    check my channel it will help you and give you some ideas : http://www.youtube.com/user/chinoangel1

Feel free to ask any questions. Remember though, patience and dedication brings results, rush brings disasters.

17. ModaRobby

QFT on the rush brings disasters. That is why I spent an extra 45 minutes sanding and brushing that damn front grill. Lol. And 38 layers of paint? WTF? :jawdrop:

I figured that if I'm going to paint something, and I've never spray painted before, I might as well take advice from the guy who has done some seriously awesome Projects and paintings. I must have read Project Ang3l about 3 times. Your first two updates blew me away, not to mention the art you showcased in the first post; very awesome. :thumb::thumb::thumb:
    I'll be checking out your tuts tomorrow, on my to-do list (not the project to-do list). Now it's time to sleep.

Anyway enough praises,:D back on topic, before I decided to wetsand the side panel (after the first paint attempt) I sprayed a coat of high gloss clear coat on the Matte Black paint and it looked terrible. So I'm glad I started over on that one. I may go to Home Depot sometime and get some Satin Clear Coat. It has no gloss and I tested some on some of that High Gloss Sail Blue Enamel and it came out looking Matte, meaning it completely took away whatever gloss was in the blue enamel. So I may do that to add durability (instead of 38 layers of paint)

18. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thank you my friend for your so kind words, as the quote says in your sig (thanks :p ) I am just an artist enjoying my journey through creation and learning! I ve learned from other modders so its my duty and every modders duty to guide a friend and dont keep the secrets for himself.
    I will be here to help as much as I can and any time you like you can send me a pm with any questions and I would be really happy to help!

Mod on brother! Creation needs inspiration! :)

19. Jelle46

Jelle46 Belgium

hey, looking good, pal.
    Like the Ipod Dock ;)
    I should have patended it :D
    keep up the good work!

20. ModaRobby

Hahaha. I definitely got it from your cosmos project. It's such an awesome thing.