1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ANOTHER noob looking for advice on new hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Farmboy UK, 22 May 2008.

1. Farmboy UK

Farmboy UK Hungry for knowledge

Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to Bit-Tech and hope I'm not spamming up the forum by posting this thread. I noticed many other people were doing similar so thought it would be ok ;)

Right.

Well, I am looking for a new Mobo and Graphics card. However I am being quite specific.

I need my new mobo to be compatible with my current processor: AMD 64 X2 5600+ yet also leave me room to upgrade at a later stage. Also board must be SLI capable and hopefully not over £100. Sorry a bit specific.

Also looking to upgrade graphics card in the hope of later this summer running SLI. I am looking at an 8800GTS as this appears to get me the best bang for my buck.

Hope someone can help me and provide me with some good options. I try searching but hardware goes out of date so quickly its hard to keep up.

Cheers

Farmboy

2. Farmboy UK

Sorry for bumping, I'm not trying to be rude.

If no responses this time I'll let the thread die lol :p

Cheers

3. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Is your cpu am2?

4. Farmboy UK

I believe the 5600+ is AM2 yes

5. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

The 8800GTS (512mb version) is indeed a great choice for a graphics card. As for the motherboard, this seems to fit the bill. However, I'm not sure how well it supports the new Phenom chips.

I think you'd be better off with a non-SLI board, as I think thats the only way that you'll get a really "future proof" board, these boards look suitable.

Hope that helps. :)

6. Farmboy UK

Just out of interest. Why do you say the SLI boards are not future proof?

7. Farmboy UK

Anyone else? So SLI is not the way to go? I can't see why not....

8. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

The SLI boards that are in your price range have an old chipset (nVidia 590 chipset), which I don't think supports the new Phenom chips. To get SLI and Phenom (for the future) you need the nVidia 780a chipset.

If you don't want SLI there are plenty of Phenom-supporting boards (noted as AM2+) that are in your price range. :)

9. Farmboy UK

Ok thanks a lot

10. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

just one more not... you do know that for SLI to work you need two identical cards, right? It seems a bit like you are unaware of this, so i thought i'd give you a little word of warning there ;)

SLI is a nice feature, but if you don't want to be on the edge of performance but just want reasonable performance at a resonable price, single card solutions are always better i think.